free website stats program Random "cracking" sound in '02 RK w/ Vance & Hines exhaust. | Harley Davidson Forums

Random "cracking" sound in '02 RK w/ Vance & Hines exhaust.

colnajoe

Maybe it's just me, but I have been hearing this random cracking sound coming from the rightside exhaust. When it's idling, in a random order, I hear a crack come out of the pipes. Not sure if it's the sound playing tricks or what. I just replaced the fiberglass in my classic pipes, tightened all nut and bolts to spec, greased some before cranking down. New exhaust clamps, copper exhaust sealant, checked everywhere for vibration, just can't find it. Do the classic slash cuts have that random "crack" during the exhaust cycle? Is it normal? Driving me nuts, I even took apart the saddlebag mounts, rear fender brackets, even the removable tour PAC mounting brackets, nothing. At times small amount of vibration from the rear somewhere. Replaced mounting brackets for saddlebags. I give up
WAP.gif

Use some petroleum jelly on the rubber exhaust mounts under saddle bags. Grease um up good, inside and out, they get dry and squeek. I had same problem, cured it right up.

Heat shields make a noise when they get Hot and when they Cool?

Could this be what you are hearing?

Metal that is Cold and has to expand when it gets hot, sometimes will make a Cracking sound when it Moves.

signed....BUBBIE

I don't think it's the heat shields because in my search, I had the shields off and still heard. It's better described as a reverberation, and it only happens at a specific rpm range. The cracking may be completely different than I described at first. I'm think the cracking sound I hear is coming from the engine through the exhaust. Just the way my exhaust sounds. I just repacked my V&H classic slashes with new fiberglass from V&H, the right side was 3/4 gone. The left was at about 80% still good. It did change my tone, random crack still there. Lubed every bolt, cleaned and greased all contact surfaces. I even put small pieces of bike inner tube between metal on metal contact points. Reverb still there, and so is the random crack. I thought that the crack was just Harley, but I've not heard it on other RK's. Search goes on
WAP.gif

Back