free website stats program raked cups ? | Harley Davidson Forums

raked cups ?

noiddodge

thinking about puting a WG front end on my 02 fxd. Super has 28 degree rake and WG has 32, are raked cups a better alternative than trees ? Would appear to be far cheaper than having the frame raked......

And why are cups (and trees) raked in odd# increments (or does anyone know where i can get a set of 4 degree cups)????

The actual rake is the angle from the perpendicular that the head stock is welded to the frame, the only way to alter this is by cutting and re-welding. Raked Triple Trees are used to reduce the Trail, on bikes that have had their rake increased, to a length that gives the bike good handling, its usually +ve and between 4 to 6 inches. Putting Raked Trees on a stock frame may cause the Trail to be adjusted outside of these limits and that could lead to poor handling. So before you do anything check your figures out, there is a Trail calculator in the self help part of this forum. The Raked Triple Trees are usually 3 or 6 degrees, you can get them in 4 and 5 degrees and many other angles, there is even an adjustable set to be had, but have a seat before you look at their price:D If you want to rake out your front end without upsetting the Trail or having to chop & weld google the AME chopper kits. From what you have written above it looks like you want to put WG forks on your FXD? The WG forks should go on without having to use Raked Triple Trees.

thinking about puting a WG front end on my 02 fxd. Super has 28 degree rake and WG has 32, are raked cups a better alternative than trees ? Would appear to be far cheaper than having the frame raked......

And why are cups (and trees) raked in odd# increments (or does anyone know where i can get a set of 4 degree cups)????
Are you sure the trees are raked on the WG and not the frame? I dont think HD does the raked trees. I have seen the cups you are talking about and i have been some what interested in them myself. Just remember that if the cups are used with your forks that it will lower your front end down a bit, generaly when you add rake you will add length to the forks as well.

Only raked cups I have seen are 3 degrees. Cups are a better option than trees because they don't create the adverse handling effects raked trees do.

I don't know about the older WGs, but the 06 and later get theri rake from the bneck and the trees. On the newer models, the trees have 2 degrees rake, the neck has 5 degrees.

Raked cups and trees with a couple degrees rake will offer a little more without being dangeous.

Recommendation, talk to a professional to get both rake and a safe bike.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to get more of a WG look on the front end, but i'm doing a lot of research first....last thing i wanna do is mess up my scoot.....

I've read that putting 3 degree cups and trees on (along with over length forks) will leave the trail near factory levels.....got more research to do it seems...:)

Back