free website stats program Rake kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Rake kit

I have a rake kit from AME. I checked into a lot of different companies, and this one has their act together! They offer rake kits in 9 degree, 14 degree and 18 degree, and with fork tubes in different lengths. I installed the 18-degree kit with fork tubes that are 10 inches longer than stock.

The folks at AME at outstanding. Ken at AME answered all of my questions, and I had a million of them. To show you how much they care about customer service, their shop guy gave me his cell number so I could call him if I ran into any problems or if I had any questions.

You can check them out at this web site: Click here.

There are a lot of photos ... some are before and after ... to give you an idea of the different looks you can get.

Feel free to ask me any questions -- I know that I had a lot of them before I was ready to make the investment, but I'm glad that I did.

You can see my bike in the profile picture, and also in the forum thread where Sportster owners are asked to show a picture of their bikes.

Here's a bigger image of my bike.
mybike.jpg

your bike looks awesome guy. Just one question right now, did you notice much difference in handling or the ride? I'm clicking on now, thanks.

Just like with anything, there is give and take. With the extended forks, your turning radius while stopped is really poor. It's harder to back into or out of parking places. I had to do a U-turn on a two-lane road once, and that was an adventure.

You will have to get used to the handling, because it's totally different from your stock setup. The center of weight, from front to back, is different, so that will feel awkward at first. The front end will also feel "heavier" when you turn. I've also found that your front wheel will usually "hop" over bumps, rather than be absorbed by the front forks.

Those are the downsides, but I still love it. :D

As long as it doesn't hop around corners while riding in the Smokies, everything else is workable. You're right, alot to look at and and concider, 14 degree/8in, 18 degree/4in. and on and on. Think I'll roll this picture around in my head a bit and the web site before deciding Thanks for the info gadzooks, I'll give you a haller when I figure this out, good ride'n.

If you never owned/rode a bike with a raked and extended front end, I would highly recommend that you do prior to making any of these changes on your bike.
Like gadzooks said, it is a COMPLETELY different animal. And, if you want to ride the "twistys". That is NOT how you want to do it.
The further you stretch it out, the easier it will be to high center the bike and drag the frame...which will take the weight off the rear wheel.
Also, at low speed, you are constantly fighting the bars as the wheel has a tendancy to "flop"
Also, gadzooks wasn't kidding about turning around on a 2 lane road being a challange!
Oh, you'll be "lookin good"....on a fairly flat, fairly straight road...but in the hills, or on bad roads, you're headed for a fall.
Just my 2 p's worth, but I've owned a few "gut busters" in my day, so I'm just sayin....

Last edited:
I did, but that was 30 plus years ago and on an old pan head.(memory loss ya know) That was my biggest concern. I really enjoy riding the hills and back roads to much.......beside, I already look good, ha. Thanks for the reminder, good ride'n.

I don't know if I would rake out if my ride was all turns and windy roads. When my Sporty was stock, I was fearless going through corners -- I would love accelerating and leaning into a nice turn. With the rake kit, though, you can't do that. It's more about cruising and enjoying the ride.

It is a much different ride, though. I never used to mind if friends rode my bike, if they were experienced riders. I don't let anyone ride it with raked front end, however, because it handles so differently.

Still, I love it and I would do it again. :D

Back