free website stats program Radio problem after handlebar install | Harley Davidson Forums

Radio problem after handlebar install

krikket

I changed the handlebars on my 2011 Street Glide to 12 Apes. Everything works fine except the right hand radio switch. So naturally, I figured I screwed up the wiring or had a bad splice at the wiring extensions. I re-spliced the 4 wires again and still have the same problem. Using the wiring diagrams supplied in the service manual, I confirmed continuity at the radio connector to all 4 wires through the switch, assuming there is 1-5v line and 3 switch legs, 1 for the 3 positions of the switch. This is telling me that the wiring is good, but the radio is shot. It doesn't make any sense!!! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does the radio come on and can you change the channels with the buttons on the unit?

The radio does come on, all the buttons on the radio itself work, all the button functions on the left hand grip (volume +/- and audio) work, but the button functions on the right hand grip (tuner +/- and mode) do not work.
I checked the wires for continuity to ground and continuity through the switch functions.

I found the problem. An old electrician I worked with once told me,"just because it has continuity doesn't necessarily mean it can carry voltage." Sure enough, I found a bad terminal on the fairing harness side of the molex connector. Thankfully, the handlebar kit from Hill Country Customs had 2 extra wire extensions with the ends on them. So I replace the terminal and spliced and heat shrunk the wires and it worked like a charm. Sometimes those little problems like that really burns my bacon!! lol

That problem can throw many a mechanic off. Continuity as tested with a light or even a meter can mislead you when it comes to the carrying capacity of that circuit. You can nave continuity and still not be able to run the circuit involved.
Same thing with poor connections on a battery.

I found the problem. An old electrician I worked with once told me,"just because it has continuity doesn't necessarily mean it can carry voltage." Sure enough, I found a bad terminal on the fairing harness side of the molex connector. Thankfully, the handlebar kit from Hill Country Customs had 2 extra wire extensions with the ends on them. So I replace the terminal and spliced and heat shrunk the wires and it worked like a charm. Sometimes those little problems like that really burns my bacon!! lol

Glad you found the problem. Your post is sure to help a lot of us!:D

Back