free website stats program Radial rear and Bias front? | Harley Davidson Forums

Radial rear and Bias front?

cdn-bigfoot

Unfortunately a "matched set" of Metzelers for my bike is as follows.

Metzeler - ME 880 Marathon Touring Rear Tire: Size - 170/60R-17

Metzeler - ME 880 Marathon Touring Front Tire: Size - 120/70-21

The rear tire is a radial and the front is a bias-ply.

Problem may be my HD Deuce solid rear wheel
deucewheel.jpg

and my Victory Hammer billet front wheel.
frtwheel.jpg

They don't seem to like each other.
Funny enough, Metzeler says the front tire size is brand specific to a Yamaha XV1900 Star Raider '08.

Anyone know if the Radial rear and Bias front will be a problem?

Do not mix radial and non radial tires even though same make and model. Sidewall flex is "more" on a radial and untested tire combination will cause hidden handling problems to surface.

Most riders do not have R&D resources and extensive road testing to find best combination that is compatible...why take chances. Even racing teams end up putting steering stabilizers, bandaid fixes and serious money on suspension and chassis setup taking an entire racing season to get it right.

I wonder if these would be a good match? Perhaps a call to Dunlop is in order.

Dunlop® Elite 3 120/70R-21 Radial Touring Tire, Front

Dunlop® D407 Screamin Eagle Performance Tire, 170/60R-17 Radial Rear Tire

Thanks Hobbit. Good morning. I gotta get to bed soon.

Turns out the Metzeler 880 Marathon 120 70/21 is a radial as well. So, I can get a match set of radial Metzelers or different models of radial Dunlops.

I'm leaning towards the Metzelers. But radials front and back regardless.

Good deal Cdn-Bigfoot, both radials would be my choice...while mixing may not be a problem for straight up street bike riding. We all get in those moods in the twisties from time to time, and radials have more side by side traction, but can let go at the limits with a suddeness that may not be as recoverable than an honest "slide" from bias ply tire at not so deep a lean angle...JMO. I also wanted to go radial, but 19" and 21" were unavailable, good to know that 21" is, but 19" & 16" are still not available...plenty in 17" & 18" though.

Last edited:
Huh. Didn't manage to find the UK website. Makes sense you would. :57:
Nice to see I actually have options for my mis-matched wheels.

Regardless. I'm buying the Metzelers through J&P Cycles. I've had good success ordering from them in the past. And my Metzeler 880 bias on the front now has been great.

Turns out the Metzeler 880 Marathon 120 70/21 is a radial as well. So, I can get a match set of radial Metzelers or different models of radial Dunlops.

CORRECTION

it turns out the line that says "this tire is a radial" speaking of the 120/70-21 in the J&P website is a mis-print!

I'm still going with the Metzeler ME 880 bias on front and the Metzeler ME 880 radial on rear. The "mechanic" on the phone at J&P said it wouldn't pose a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back