free website stats program Quit at idle | Harley Davidson Forums

Quit at idle

roadhog1175

I have a 2008 Heritage Softail Classic with 17,000 miles. No problems except for the other morning when I started it up, it warmed up, idled low then quit. It started right back up. It also hesitates sometimes when accelerating. Im thinking fuel filter or plugs. Any suggestions?

Check filters including air filter.
You did not say if it just startet hesitating under accelleration, or if this has been going on since new. Did you just do some mods to it?
Check seals as well - intake & exhaust

If the hesitation is new it is most probably either air or fuel supply related.

How long did you let it SIT warming up??

If too long, It may be Over Heated,,,,, Doing a lot of BAD things..

I have always LIKED to ride off with in 30/60 seconds when Warm out and a full 2 minutes idle More than enough on a COLD day...

Remember these bikes are AIR Cooled and the Metal parts get HOT quickly..

A friend of mine warms his bike for 5 minutes and it does Smell like it also.... TOO HOT

signed....BUBBIE

I have always LIKED to ride off with in 30/60 seconds when Warm out and a full 2 minutes idle More than enough on a COLD day...

Me too! I give it 30 seconds and as long as I don't see any smoke or hear any banging I am Gone=> :D

I did make some mods like intake and exhaust but it has been about a year and a half since the mods and no problems up until now. I appreciate all the tips, I will give them a try.

Welcome Roadhog1175 to the HDTimeline forum. Since your ride is so new and mods done a year ago, likely something has degraded, so things like picking up contaminated fuel or debris accumulated over the IAC, clogged fuel line strainer, etc are more likely than an actual part failure. Do keep us informed as to your progress.

If flushing out the IAC port in the throttle body does not do it, let us know. There are other items you can check.

The hesitation on acceleration has me thinking its solely not an IAC issue.

I use CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner for flushing the IAC. Seems to work well.
Part# 05110

Back