free website stats program Quietest Performance Slip-Ons | Harley Davidson Forums

Quietest Performance Slip-Ons

tgriesel

I have a 2009 Street Glide. :D I want the Stage 1 upgrade for a little extra HP. What is the quietest performance slip-on option available? Will the SE's my best bet?

Attachments

• Harley 064.jpg
    Harley 064.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 90
First, I've been thru many loud pipe bikes (still have a couple) and the thrill is gone. I do mostly two up touring now. I live in a quiet neighborhood and have a long hill to climb to my house. Even when I'm trying to be quiet, most pipes will set off every car alarm on the way up. Not very cool late at night!

Thanks Glider. I will check out the S&S SPO and Mark at M&M.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I've been thru many loud pipe bikes (still have a couple) and the thrill is gone. I do mostly two up touring now. I live in a quiet neighborhood and have a long hill to climb to my house. Even when I'm trying to be quiet, most pipes will set off every car alarm on the way up. Not very cool late at night!

Makes sense. Just thought I would ask.

Glider: I did a search on the S&S SPO mufflers. I came across the AIM April 2008 article by Chris Maida. Don't worry, Im not going to open the A/F remapping discussion again! :s However, I found the dyno results very interesting. Stock: max power 65.48 & max torque 82.67. With S&S induction: max power 75.97 & max torque 89.06. With S&S induction plus SPO mufflers: max power 76.48 & max torque 89.17. Induction only improvement: +10.49 hp & +6.39 torque. Adding the mufflers only added
+.51 hp & +.11 torque. Any thoughts? Hardly seems worth changing the pipes. :(

Adding only mufflers is only part of the equation. The total package is the intake, added fuel and the mufflers for the best increase in power.

Understood, however, what I found interesting was an increase of +10.5 hp and +6.5 ft.lbs. torque with the intake alone and stock pipes. Adding the SPO pipes only increased the numbers by an additional +.5 hp and .11 ft.lbs. torque. The pipes didn't seem to make any appreciable difference in their test.

I havent used the pipes but i will second Gliders reccommending of M&M i have bought a few things from them

Understood, however, what I found interesting was an increase of +10.5 hp and +6.5 ft.lbs. torque with the intake alone and stock pipes. Adding the SPO pipes only increased the numbers by an additional +.5 hp and .11 ft.lbs. torque. The pipes didn't seem to make any appreciable difference in their test.

Let me see if I can explain this for you. Pinch your nose almost closed and take a fast deep breath, you'll notice that your nose will collapse being that it is partially restricted. NOW, do the same thing and exhale fast, you notice the air will open up your nose to a degree. Same principle with intake and slip ons. With the better intake, more air gets in even with stock or replacement mufflers. When you add to the mix some mufflers,you get more flow through the engine. Remember that an engine is basically an air pump and the more you can flow through it, the better it runs.

I havent used the pipes but i will second Gliders reccommending of M&M i have bought a few things from them

Here's a issue I had with Mark at M&M. I ordered some slipons from him and got a call from UPS about the package inquiring what was in the boxes and about how much they weighed with the contents in them. I told them about 20 LBS and there was silence on the phone. I asked them what the problem was and they said the boxes were empty. I called Mark and told him what was going on and he shipped a second set of slipons immediately and overnighted them to me. You don't find this kind of service and at a good price many other places. He gets all my business from then on. He's also a great guy to talk to on the phone. He'll answer any questions you may have about anything he sells and even more too.

Back