free website stats program Quick question | Harley Davidson Forums

Quick question

BuffaloBill

Hello Gang

Recently my fuel pump on the 09 Ultra has begun to make a strange loud noise intermintantly sounds like loud static only at start up, Once on the road it seems to stop. Plenty of fuel pressure just concerend about the intermtitent noise. Since the bike is still under warranty the dealer checked it out and said as long as the correct fuel pressure is there they would not change it out.

Any thoughts

BuffaloBill

Need a little more info. Does it just do it for a few seconds when you turn the run switch on and then stop? This is normal as the fuel pump builds up pressure. Are you sure it goes away as you begin riding or is it just being masked by engine and road noise?

As Glider says, make sure the HD dealer who you trust to do warranty repairs has a record of your concern on file. I had an old 93 Ford truck that made had a squeaking noise (alternator bearing in this case) at 35,000 miles...16 years and 170,000 miles later it still makes the noise. Point being a noise by itself is a symptom and it NEVER hurts on a NEW bike to note the problem "-just in case..." for warranty purposes and YOUR peace of mind.

Need a little more info. Does it just do it for a few seconds when you turn the run switch on and then stop? This is normal as the fuel pump builds up pressure. Are you sure it goes away as you begin riding or is it just being masked by engine and road noise?

It is not the normal "humming noise and yes I did get of the bike while it was running to check for the noise and it was not present. The dealer does have my concerns recorded

The conern again is that it does it every once in a while usually after I fill up I do not let the tank go below 2 gallon reserve Normally takes 4-4.2 gallons to fill up the 6 gallon tank

Everyone Have a safe Thanksgiving Holiday
Bill

IMO, The problem is it was not doing it when they seen / heard the bike. With no audio signs and no unusual pressure problems I think their hands are tied. I would watch it closely and if you can learn how to predict when it will happen, go to the dealer and let them hear it. If it makes abnormal sounds, then they will likley replace. I would not wait till it leaves you on the road somewhere. Keep us posted so we can learn from this and Good luck.

Back