free website stats program Quick question on electrical | Harley Davidson Forums

Quick question on electrical

173ABN

My 93 softtail classic has went through 2 battries in the last 6 months. I have read all the threads about the charging system and see if you agree with me. When checking the input from the VR to the battery i get about 15 volts but while checking today I noticed that it was pushing between 17 and 20 volts. (at least the way i read the volt meter). I get about 2-3 months and about 1000 miles before the battery is toast. When the battery is tested is still has 12 volts but has lost all the cranking amps. The VR passes the test decribed in the the thread on testing the system with the test light. My question is if the VR is putting out that many volts off and on would that be eating the battery. And does this mean the VR is shot.
THANKS

The VR is what governs the power back to the battery. If you are reading that high on the volts (17 to 20), I would replace the regulator as it is overcharging the battery and boiling it away (overcharging)

Yep VR, sounds its toast. What does you meter read a good battery without anything hook up. Just to make sure you meter isn't out of wack.

Sounds like your volt meter is giving the proper reading. I'd take heed of glider's advice-unless you have a good supply of replacement batteries.

Back