free website stats program quick connect windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

quick connect windshield

Billbo

Hello all again. I have a Road King with quick detach windshield with 23K miles. It seems to me that the little 'spring' clips on each side hold the shield in place. Actually perhaps wind holds it in place and the clips prevent it from moving forward? On mine, I noticed that I can walk up to the bike (front) and grab the windshield and pull it toward the front without lifting up the spring clips. Is this right?? It has not just fallen off in 23,000 miles. Do you think I need to bend or otherwise adjust the spring clips? They actually dont seem to me to be going down far enough to hold anything. But, maybe the windshield would work just fine without the spring clips - since mine are not holding anything anyway?

Thanks
Bill

On mine, I noticed that I can walk up to the bike (front) and grab the windshield and pull it toward the front without lifting up the spring clips. Is this right??

Bill,

I had an '11 FLSTC with the same sort of system. The way you describe it was the same on that bike. I think that as you say, the pressure of the bike moving through the air is what keeps the windshield in place. The spring clips just stop the windshield from falling off when coming to a stop or just in general. But I was able to just grab the windshield and remove it without fiddling with the spring clips.

Cheers,

TQ

Its fine Bill. Mine is the same way and always has been. I think the intent is to hold it if it were bumped accidentally while parked. Mine is pretty snug without clips.

Hello all again. I have a Road King with quick detach windshield with 23K miles. It seems to me that the little 'spring' clips on each side hold the shield in place. Actually perhaps wind holds it in place and the clips prevent it from moving forward? On mine, I noticed that I can walk up to the bike (front) and grab the windshield and pull it toward the front without lifting up the spring clips. Is this right?? It has not just fallen off in 23,000 miles. Do you think I need to bend or otherwise adjust the spring clips? They actually dont seem to me to be going down far enough to hold anything. But, maybe the windshield would work just fine without the spring clips - since mine are not holding anything anyway?

Thanks
Bill

Bill,

I had an '11 FLSTC with the same sort of system. ---- But I was able to just grab the windshield and remove it without fiddling with the spring clips.

Cheers,

TQ

Its fine Bill. Mine is the same way and always has been.

my softail is the same way

Thank you all for your replys. I spose my windshield is 'normal' so no more concerns on my end.- --thanks again

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking the windscreen off and back on during a cleaning will cause the spring "clips" to relax. Once in a while I take a pair of needle nose pliers and close the loop a bit to bite a bit better on the mounting pins. Oh...I have a 99 FLHR, same windscreen.

My 2010 RKC is the same, but I have always wondered about the spring clips as well. I'm thinking I'll try what wjsjr has done above and use my needle nose pliers on them to slightly adjust....

I see you can buy 1 latch that locks for $35 from Harley. Surprised we dont hear about them being swiped.

Well Harley has lots of "quick disconnect" stuff and mostly all we can do is hope they dont get stolen. So far so good with my stuff. I did go the bolt-on route with my hard saddle bags on RK but not for anti theft but for protection against accidently falling off.

Thanks for your post.
Bill

Thanks
Bill

I had the same thing with my flhr,the bike before it was a Heritage,and you had to work to get that shield on or off.So when I saw I could sit on the rk,and push the shield right forward,I was afraid a good wind comin up behind me would push it off.Never happened,and of course the wind when you ride is pushing against it.The clips are worthless as far as keeping it on.I almost zip tied it,but it was never necessary.

Back