free website stats program Questions on Cams With #25284-08 Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Questions on Cams With #25284-08 Chain Tensioner Upgrade Kit

Haywire

A quick question and I hope this is not stupid.
I have a 2006 Ultra Classic that I want to do the #25284-08 upgrade kit to knowing I need the #25285-08 Spacer Kit also.
Also doing the cam bearings with the Torringtons.

My questions are:
Can the original cams be used with this kit(7K miles)?
Can the original lifters and push rods be used?
If I was to use adjustable push rods What are the best to use.

Thanks in advance for the help

Haywire

Last edited:
Yes. That is the assumption made in the HD kit. You will reuse the cams or at least the sprockets and the inner chain (silent chain). If you up-grade the cams, make sure they are for the '99-'06 configuration. You will have to remove the sprockets from the current cams and press them on the new cams. Since I have not used this kit myself, I am not sure if you get new bearing for the support plate, or have to get them separately. I would use the up-grade configuration roller bearings (I think these are #8984, but check).

You can use the original lifters (I think those are already the "B" lifters in that year, but call the Parts dept. and check or look in your Parts Manual), but I would suggest adjustable pushrods so you do not have to pull the covers and rockers. The HD (Screamin' Eagle) adjustable pushrods are good. I would pick the steel ones rather than aluminum, but that is a matter of choice (but definitely the EZ ones). You may need the pushrod covers that allow you more access to the adjuster ends, but that is your call.

TQ

Last edited:
I'm not a 100% sure on the cams but I would think it would use the same year cams and if you like your cam you could keep it then , but why, while you're in there it only cost you the price of the cam to upgrade for better two up riding, just don't get carried away, also I alway replace lifters if there is over 5,000 miles on them and if you install new cams, for sure replace. I like the S/E performance quick install #18404-08 push rods, they will save you a ton of labor & gaskets because you do not have to tear the upper end down, you don't even have to touch the fuel tank, (high scratch factor) just cut the stock push rods out with a set of bolt cutters, (when the load is taken off the rod you are cutting). With the low miles you have on the bike I would not think about big bore cylinders, it's easy to get carried away, if you want a performance gain the cams are 80%-90% on your year bike, with a S/E A/C, good mufflers & a tuner or download.

the kit says you can reuse the stock cams i was looking at this myself as i am doing tensioner upgrade on my buddys 04

the kit says you can reuse the stock cams i was looking at this myself as i am doing tensioner upgrade on my buddys 04

That's what I was wondering. I would like to keep the bike as stock as possible (already has a Stage 1). Just feel in the long run for a guy like me that isn't a wrench I should try and keep it simple.

Figured if I got the tensioner problem fixed it should be good for many years and that is my goal with proper maintenance:s

Also really interested in everyone's take on what is the best adjustable pushrod to use. I have read that some have had a problem with the SE's nuts cracking. Anyone else heard of this?

Last edited:
you can go to harley site and download the instructions for the kit ..

Kemo said he had one crack

Back