free website stats program Questions for Pennsylvania Riders | Harley Davidson Forums

Questions for Pennsylvania Riders

Jim B.

I'm on vacation in Pennsylvania and I have two questions for Pennsylvania riders. First, I've seen lots of bikes on the side roads, but very few except for some crotch rockets on the freeways. Are Pennsylvania motorcycle riders avoiding the interstates for some reason?

Also, everyone else is going 70 or 80 when the posted speed is 55. They go 75 to 85 when the posted speed is 65. Is it some kind of private joke in Pennsylvania that only the out-of-towners travel at the speed limit or slightly faster?

I live in MD near the PA line and ride in PA a lot. The view is normally better on the side roads. Definitly seem to be less LEOs' on the prowl than in MD to me.

Thanks, Hatman231. I did see several riders on the side roads in Lancaster, PA, but only two on the main roads even on Sunday, the traditional riding day. I have seen quite a few on the main roads in New Hampshire even though it was during the workweek.

I ride mostly on the back roads on weekends or on day off and using highway (call freeway in CA) on workdays, there's not much to see on highway anyway plus traffic jammed on highway during rush hours, but nothing compares to traffic jam like in CA, you can almost ride faster on your driveway than on freeway (Riverside- Passadena- LA..)

Speed limit is more likely "go with the flows" thing, some highway posted 55, I do no more than 65, and some posted 65, I do 75 or less and stay in one lane. Cops usually don't bothers you if you don't go 15 over. PA turnpike is another story though.

LOL the posted 55 and everybody does 65 or better
thats not just PA here in South Carolina its the same way

Who wants to ride a main hiway when we have soooo many nice twisty secondary roads to ride.
Leave the interstate/freeway/turnpike for the cages and 18 wheelers.
As for the speed limit......Most people these days seem to view it only as an unheeded suggestion.

You miss too much of America on the freeway. I stick to the back roads as much as possible.

Speed limits what are those. I live near the NJ border in PA, from NJ originally, so 55 speed limit here on 22, is more like 70-75, if you are below that you are getting passed, 65 speed limit is more like 80. Just have to go with the flow it is easier.

As for the side roads, on my bike I use them, highways are dangerous, too many people on their phones and still speeding. Plus the view is better.

I work for the PA Turnpike and I see a lot of bad things on this road and the reason I choose to avoid it unless I have no other choice. It's pretty much the same for all the other major highways around PA too. Mostly cages driving 20 MPH over the speed limit, tailgating, weaving lane to lane and all the while talking on their cell phones, eating or putting on makeup. I have had a few bad experiences on Interstate which limit my ability to ride for long distances anymore so for me the scenic back roads work great.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I moved on to New Hampshire from Pennsylvania and had a whole different experience. Most of the drivers stayed within 10 miles of the speed limit. And I saw a lot more riders on highways and the side roads. Also nearly 40% of the riders were women.

However, didn't see anyone do the "wave" in Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire or Massachusetts. I can't ride more than a few miles on the central coast of California without passing another rider and 80% of them wave.

Back