free website stats program Question.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Question....

glazier

I found a brand new set of stock headers from a 2009 Ultra Classic for a reasonable price. Since they are '09, they don't have the cats and I'm thinking about buying them and putting them on my 2013 Ultra Limited. Question is..... will they fit on my bike, and would they have the bungs for the O2 sensors? I'd prefer they just bolted right on with no modifications. If I have to modify anything, I'd rather spend more money and get the American Custom headers that will bolt right on with no problems.
Thanks.

I would think they will bolt right on. But the o2 sensor on the '09 is a bigger diameter than the '13 o2 sensor. You would also have to extend the wiring for them. Yours is by the right hand side of the tranny where the clutch cable goes in.The '09 s were near the heads.
tourbox

Thanks Tourbox, but now it brings me to another question. I plan on getting a TFI from Dobeck. They said when I install the TFI, I would disconnect the O2 sensors at the wire connectors but leave them screwed into the pipes. If I go with these new headers, couldn't I just remove the O2 sensors completely and just plug the holes? What would that do to the computer? Would it be looking for the O2 sensors or just realize they weren't there any more and adjust accordingly? This is my first injected bike and I'm still trying to figure it all out. I knew carbs but this FI is foreign to me.
Thanks

I am also going to place the Gen4 on my 2012 UC with '09 headers. I think what they are telling you is that with the '13 headers leave or plug the holes.You will have to place a larger bung for the new o2 sensor that comes with the unit.It should go on the front pipe near the head. Stock o2 sensors are Narrow Band,their unit uses a Wide band sensor. Don't really know how to explain the difference except the Wide Band has a better sensing range or ability. You will have to run at least 1 o2 sensor. I have talked with them but have more questions when I place my order.
tourbox

If you are going with the TFI or the Gen3 controller you can plug the holes for the 02 sensors and use the Dobeck supplied bypass.If you are going to use the Gen4 you will have to use the Bosch sensor that Dobeck supplies in the kit.When ordering you can tell the folks at Dobeck that you are running with 09 headpipes and they can give you the proper thread size.

On a side note here.I have used the TFI,Gen3 and Gen4.I have been using the Gen 4 since they first came out and other than a few problems they had with this unit when they first came out (which Dobeck corrected immediately) it is a superior unit to any other I have used.

GEN 4 - AFR PLUS EFI Controller - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles

Thanks Steve, but why would the Gen3 not need sensors at all, but the Gen4 does? Doesn't the Gen4 have an A/F gauge also? Is that permanently mounted, or can it be used to set the tuner, and then removed? I'd rather go with the Gen4 but don't want the gauge on there all the time. I just want to set it and forget it :D. What other differences are there between the Gen3 & Gen4? I'm just trying to figure out which one I should get.

the gen 3 comes witha plug to tell your ecm the afr is right in spec so don't adjust.
the gen 4 used wide band sensors to read afr and does come with an afr guage so you can see in real time where your afr's are running so you can adjust on the fly .

Thanks Steve, but why would the Gen3 not need sensors at all, but the Gen4 does? Doesn't the Gen4 have an A/F gauge also? Is that permanently mounted, or can it be used to set the tuner, and then removed? I'd rather go with the Gen4 but don't want the gauge on there all the time. I just want to set it and forget it :D. What other differences are there between the Gen3 & Gen4? I'm just trying to figure out which one I should get.

The guage is permanent,you use it to adjust the program for different conditions.That is the beauty of it.I installed mine in the dash where the useless air temp. guage used to be.Pic. below.

2721.JPG

The guage is permanent,you use it to adjust the program for different conditions.That is the beauty of it.I installed mine in the dash where the useless air temp. guage used to be.Pic. below.

Yeah, it looks good there. I wouldn't want it mounted to my bars. And your right about the air temp gauge being useless. I can tell if its hot or cold without a gauge. They should have put an oil temp gauge there instead. Dealer wants over $500 to install one there.

The dealers oil temp gauge isn't worth $.05 much less $500. Its probably made the same place the air temp gauge was made......The AFR would be more beneficial then an HD oil temp gauge. A good after market oil temp gauge would have its merits.

Back