free website stats program Question re. TSSM troubleshooting. | Harley Davidson Forums

Question re. TSSM troubleshooting.

66cruiser

Speedo & tach inoperative. Turn sigs ok including self cancelling. Speedo self test produced DTCs U1255, U1016 & U1064. My question is if I disconnect the TSSM in order to check the dataline continuity, will I have to do a password learning when I reconnect the same TSSM?

Also fyi, the check engine light does not light at key on or startup. Bike runs fine.

Chances are you will have to do the password relearn so they can communicate again. There's no capacitor or other feature that will hold the charge in the unit.

Found & repaired a bad connection at the speedometer. All's well.

Sometimes it is the easy and simple things! I don't know how many times I have started out trying to trouble shoot something with all the stuff that is hard to do, only to find out it was something easy (and even obvious!).

Glad it all worked out so painlessly!

TQ

The bad connection was a splice I made a while back, when installing the Low Rider console & tach. I shoulda checked that first but instead took the long way around via the step by step diagnosis in the manual. Took a while to get there but I learned a lot in the process.

One thing I have found is to always look in the last place you worked for a new problem.:s

I agree 100%.. however the last place I worked was in that bowl of spaghetti under the tank when I rerouted the turn signal wires. So I wasted a lot of time looking for a non-existent connector (20 I think) that was suposed to be tucked up in the frame. Of course in order to get there I had to take off the console & move the tank back so thats probably when I broke the connection. It was a crimpted butt connector that I neglected to solder but did shrink tube so it wasn't obvious. Anyway, checking continuity led me eventually to the problem & made me promise again to solder all crimp joints...

I agree 100%.. however the last place I worked was in that bowl of spaghetti under the tank when I rerouted the turn signal wires. So I wasted a lot of time looking for a non-existent connector (20 I think) that was suposed to be tucked up in the frame. Of course in order to get there I had to take off the console & move the tank back so thats probably when I broke the connection. It was a crimpted butt connector that I neglected to solder but did shrink tube so it wasn't obvious. Anyway, checking continuity led me eventually to the problem & made me promise again to solder all crimp joints...

I hear ya there. I don't use any crimp connectors on these bikes, they shake too much. Everything is soldered and shrink sleeved.

I hear ya there. I don't use any crimp connectors on these bikes, they shake too much. Everything is soldered and shrink sleeved.

I've become a great lover of shrink tubing and cable ties

Back