free website stats program Question on oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Question on oil?

MarkS

I have a 2013 HD Iron (435 miles) and its about half low on oil on dip stick. I checked it hot. Is that normal to use a little oil on new engine? If so, what oil should I use to top it off?

I have a 2013 HD Iron (435 miles) and its about half low on oil on dip stick. I checked it hot. Is that normal to use a little oil on new engine? If so, what oil should I use to top it off?

Do you mean half a quart low, or halfway down on the dipstick? Did you check it on the kickstand, or upright?

On the stand and its half way between full and low mark on dip stick.

Checked it hot after my ride standing up and it's full. I guess that's normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
When cold checking that is where the oil level is on my dipstick, halfway between add and full. When checked after riding and the engine is warmed up it is at the full mark. I don't think there is a problem there.:s

Read your owners manual. Harley varies from year to year on how the bike is to be sitting when checking oil. They always specify how in the manual.

Keep in mind when you change your oil you will not get all of the old oil out also, use 1/2 quart less than your owners manual says and re check after it is warmed up

Back