free website stats program Question for the Techies- engine auto-tune? | Harley Davidson Forums

Question for the Techies- engine auto-tune?

martysnarf

Hey Glider, Hobbit, Smitty et al!

Hope you are doing well! I was talking to a dude that used to work at a local shop here, and he told me that the new HD ECM's will auto-tune- or "learn"- on a "closed-loop" system, just like a ThunderMax (or similar aftermarket "smart" ECMs) do. He says that HD doesn't advertise that for obvious reasons.

First off- is that true?? Second- what is a "closed-loop" system?

THANKS- as always!

ya would how they will go to the auto tune but even cars cannot tune with major changes to intake exhust cams etc..

Closed Loop mean the ECM uses data from the oxygen sensors to adjust the air fuel ratio on the fly after the engine reaches operation temp or the O2 sensors come up to temp which ever is first

Thanks all!!

Smitty- my last 2 bikes have had a Stage 1 done, and I wouldn't have a bike without one either.

On the '09 that I am buying, if I buy the air cleaner and slip-ons and do them myself, then ad the TFI myself- do you recommend that I go to the Dealer for any "stage 1 downloads" or anything? Am I running optimally with the TFI and the self-installed Stage 1?

THANKS AGAIN!!

they changed the gear again in the 09 so it will have more jump off the line and though first 3 gears

Back