free website stats program question for Ga M/C license holders.. | Harley Davidson Forums

question for Ga M/C license holders..

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadHunter

Banned
I am about to take my road test for my Ga M/C drivers license and was wondering if any here have taken their road test within the last year or so?
What I need to know is what tasks will I need to do to pass so that I can be practicing them this week and next before I do it on Thursday.
I have heard the road test changed recently so if anyone knows for sure what they expect me to do to pass I would really appreciate it.

It's been almost 2 years since I took the BRC offered by the MSF and which was supposed to mirror the GA M/C driver's test. If it hasn't changed much you will be expected to:

1) Make sharp right and left turns from a stop
2) Demonstrate emergency, straight line braking
3) Make a right/left swerve to simulate avoiding a road obstacle
4) Perform a figure eight inside of a fairly small area
5) Negotiate right and left curves inside of cones at a moderate speed

Points are deducted for (in order from least to most):

1) Going outside the cones
2) Putting your feet down while moving
3) Dropping the bike

This may not be 100% accurate but it's pretty darn close. If you know someone with the Ride Like A Pro DVD, borrow it immediately! Otherwise, parts of it or similar tips and techniques are probably out there on Youtube, Google, etc.

Good Luck!

Whew, I'm sure glad I kept my MC license even through the years, I didn't ride. Good luck HeadHunter. I'm sure you'll do fine.
:USA

I hope so, I have been riding almost everyday since last Wednesday and have gotten pretty comfortable with my skills so far. I still feel a tad unbalanced at really low speeds ie:5 mph or so and have been trying to balance upright at a dead stop but I have to work the front tire side to side to stay balanced.
the really tight turns at around 20-30 mph get me still and I take a lane + a foot or two to turn in. the figure eights I haven't tried yet, about how small are the figure eights you have to do? Also do they make you do a spot check on your own bike before the test or do I just ride through the obstacles? also I still put my feet down if I am going at a crawl (1-2 mph)and turning so I don't drop the bike. I hope I pass man but I am pretty intimidated since I really don't know what to expect. Also I live in Fayette county and the test is in Locust grove on Thursday next at 10:00 am so I am a little fearful of driving that far not knowing my way around the area AND it being in morning rush hour traffic!

Last edited:
If you ride the back brake and use the friction zone of the clutch (wear it starts to grab) at slow speeds, you shouldn't have to put your feet down ever while the bike is moving . Up hear in MI. the BRC is only $25, and if you are a HOG member, you get a gift cert that re-embuses you (up to $50) when you send a cert of completion. It also saves you money on insurance, and COUNTS as your driving test and you use their bikes (less than 500 CC). Well worth it. Being how you have a sporty, it shouldn't be too bad. you should be able to make a uturn with in the width of 2 parking spaces, and a figure 8 with in 4 (back to back). Remember that brake and friction zone, and look WHERE YOU WANT the bike to go, NOT DOWN (or down is where it will go). Good Luck!

thanks for the tips I think I will go and set up a mock driving course in my culdusac and practice all these tips for a few days and see if I can get more skill built up before the test.

All good points to remember - friction zone, rear brake only at slow speeds, turn your chin/head (not just your eyes) and look where you want to go, shift your butt/weight to the outside slightly to help you balance on tight turns, more weight on your outside foot also helps. Oh, be confident and have fun!

I am more afraid at this point of dumping a new bike than failing the test. I figure if I fail I can retake the test , but if I drop the bike I need new paint and possibly bodywork.

well you can always pay $250 and take the DDS Motorcycle Safety Course and use their bikes, its a 2 1/2 day course and your get your license after you pass the class, that will make it to where you can get all the training you need as well as no fear of dropping your bike in the test, they do every thing they can to pass you time. I took it a few weeks ago to drop my insurance but umm... little did I know I don't qualify for a safety course discount under Progressive with my USAA discount hehe oh well it goes toward my HOG dollars at least ^_^

if you have been ridding a while its really boring but I picked up a few things I had forgotten over the years, all of the new riders enjoyed the class and said that they gained a lot of road confidence in the class so give it a shot, I just need to get some front blinkers and a speedo back on my bike and I'm going to see about the advance class to see what they teach in there

well you can always pay $250 and take the DDS Motorcycle Safety Course and use their bikes, its a 2 1/2 day course and your get your license after you pass the class, that will make it to where you can get all the training you need as well as no fear of dropping your bike in the test, they do every thing they can to pass you time. I took it a few weeks ago to drop my insurance but umm... little did I know I don't qualify for a safety course discount under Progressive with my USAA discount hehe oh well it goes toward my HOG dollars at least ^_^

if you have been ridding a while its really boring but I picked up a few things I had forgotten over the years, all of the new riders enjoyed the class and said that they gained a lot of road confidence in the class so give it a shot, I just need to get some front blinkers and a speedo back on my bike and I'm going to see about the advance class to see what they teach in there

I was told by the Progressive agent that there is no discount available for Georgia motorcyclists who have taken any kind of safety course. Figures - Georgia is stuck in the 19th century in so many ways!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back