free website stats program Question about routing wires from cam timing sensor | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about routing wires from cam timing sensor

Piotra

I have a question how is routed wiring from the cam timing sensor (or ignition module if you have in cam cover) in Evo softail. It come out from cam gear cover by small hole and where shoud it be routed than. There is small space between cam gear cover and exhaust pipe so it is possible that wires will contact pipe. Is there any mounting bracket for these wires. I know how it should be connected but I do not know how it should be routed.

Can you make some photos how it looks like and submit?

First, the wiring coming out the bottom of the cam cover should have a sheath of either plastic tubing or woven fabric. This wiring should route down the bottom of the cam cover and be strapped to the frame tube. It runs back along the frame and joins with the other wire bundles headed up under the seat and then over to the coil/electrical panel on the left side of the bike.

TQ

Ok, thanks for really good explanation. There is one more problem in my bike. I have tubing on wires but if I route them down of the cam cover to frame tube it will contact front exhaust pipe. I think I have to make a small bracket which will keep wires and mount to one of cam cover screws.

Ok, thanks for really good explanation. There is one more problem in my bike. I have tubing on wires but if I route them down of the cam cover to frame tube it will contact front exhaust pipe. I think I have to make a small bracket which will keep wires and mount to one of cam cover screws.

Hmmm. I have loaded some pix from my '91 Dyna to show how I routed the wire. The exhaust pipe run on your bike must be very different then on my bike. There is lots of room between the nose cone and the exhaust pipe on my bike. BTW, I think there was a small wire bracket on one of the fasteners originally.

As a note, I have a Carlini Torque Plate that connects between the tranny and the engine on the right side to complete the fourth side of the "box".

TQ's '91 Dyna Cam Cover Wiring

TQ

Last edited:
Thank you TQ. I do not have this cover under nose cone but now I know all what I need. Thanks again!!!!

Back