free website stats program Question about rear axle bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about rear axle bearings

Rej Johnson

I recently replaced the stock, spoke rims off of my 2005 Heritage Softail with rims off of a 1999 Road King. The work was done at a shop and I put roughly 200 miles on the bike and then started hearing clicking/clanking/popping sound from the rear wheel. I've recently taken it off and and then retorqued it down and verifying that everything seemed to check out. I am now thinking it might be the bearings that need replaced, but do I order bearings for the '05 softail, or for the '99 road king???

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... and a part number would be even better.

Thanks in advance...

[QUOTE="Rej Johnson]I recently replaced the stock, spoke rims off of my 2005 Heritage Softail with rims off of a 1999 Road King. The work was done at a shop and I put roughly 200 miles on the bike and then started hearing clicking/clanking/popping sound from the rear wheel. I've recently taken it off and and then retorqued it down and verifying that everything seemed to check out. I am now thinking it might be the bearings that need replaced, but do I order bearings for the '05 softail, or for the '99 road king???

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... and a part number would be even better.

Thanks in advance...[/QUOTE]

The axles for both the '05 Heritage and the '99 Road King are 3/4"; however, the '05 Heritage rear wheel bearings are sealed ball bearings vs the '99 Road King rear wheel bearings which are tapered roller bearings. So, when you remove the rear wheel, the first thing you should check is which bearings, spacers, shims, etc. the ship used to make the conversion. The shop should have used the axle, all spacers, tapered wheel bearings and shims for a proper conversion. To set up the rear wheel with tapered roller bearings requires shims to torque the wheel to speck with the proper clearance on the tapered roller bearings. There are shims that vary in thickness from .002", .004", .008", .016" and .032".

I should have caught this in my response to your previous post but focused on axle diameter and missed the difference in bearings. JMHO but think the first step should be to verify that the shop completed the conversion properly. Suggest you pull the rear wheel and check what the shop used to make the wheel conversion. A diagram of the '99 rear wheel components is attached; compare the parts in the diagram with the parts the shop used. If they don't match, you need to pay the shop a visit.;)

Attachments

• 99 rear wheel.JPG
    99 rear wheel.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 5
Back