free website stats program Question about my 09 sportster 1200 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about my 09 sportster 1200

Primary/tranny oil goes on the Left side of bike into primary cavity. You'll need to level the bike (block under stand), remove the primary cover (5-screws) and then you'll see the area I'm referencing.

Primary/tranny oil goes on the Left side of bike into primary cavity. You'll need to level the bike (block under stand), remove the primary cover (5-screws) and then you'll see the area I'm referencing.

Just an addition, if you don't have the bike level you will make a big mess...don't ask:p

The person in the video does a sloppy job!

As per Harley service manual, you should pour about 4 oz. of fresh oil into the filter and allow time for the oil to soak into the filter to minimize the time required for buildup of oil pressure when the engine is first started.

Also remove the Corbin clamp and allow a small amount of oil to flow from the hose before reconnection. This action removes air from the drain hose and prevents the possibility of oil pump cavitation.

Evidently he never looked at a Harley service manual. You should buy one for yourself.

Good oil is all that's needed. You don't need Lucas or STP type stuff.
Change the oil regularly and you'll be fine. Good oil has all you need for additives.

Also you can add the 32 oz. of primary/tranny oil through the primary chain inspection cover.
Then you don't have to mess with the gasket on the clutch inspection cover..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back