free website stats program question about dtc b1005 | Harley Davidson Forums

question about dtc b1005

cool breeze

08 road glide 65000 miles b1005 came up replaced fuel filter boy it was black . ride about 30 miles spits sputters dead again anybody had this before looking for suggestions thanks:newsmile108:

Have you checked the fuel pressure or looked in the tank to see if there are any leaks in the system? Low fuel pressure or a bad tank of fuel or debris in the tank will do that.

When it dies, how does it start up again? Does it start again?

You have more than 1 problem. This has nothing to do with the sputtering (Glider addressed that issue). This info applies to the B1005 DTC only.

There are two wires going to the fuel level rheostat. A black and yellow/white. If you put an ohm meter across those 2 wires and run the float level up and down, you will probably find an open spot where the meter reads something greater than 260 ohms.

A full tank reading should be between 39.5 and 27.5 ohms on the rheostat. An empty tank reading should be between 260 & 240 ohms. A B1005 DTC is set when the speedo sees an empty tank reading greater than the 260 limit for more than 15 seconds.

Keep in mind that a break in the wire, a poor connector contact, or even a poor ground (the black wire at the rheostat is ground) will tell the speedo the same thing as the rheostat being above the 260 limit. When I say 260 limit, I don't mean if the reading is 261 you have a bad rheostat because these rheostats are not that precise. I would be looking for a something above the 300 range even though the spec is nothing greater than 260.

Try clearing the code 1st. If it returns, address the problem. If you happened to turn on the ignition when the sending unit was removed, a B1005 would set.

thanks for the replies sorry for the delay been in hospital 4 more stints that makes 12 bike in shop will let you know outcome

ok back at it again took everything out of fuel tank inspect and reinstall all looks good except o-ring in filter shell new o-ring and back on the road 30 miles dead again new fuel pressure reg but it seems to be blowing the o-ring at the filter shell whats causing this causung this help !:newsmile108:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the sequence of events. I can't understand the run on sentence. You took everything out of the tank. You inspected and found the filter o-ring bad. You installed a new o-ring in filter. You then Test drive the bike and after 30 miles, the o-ring once again blows out. You now change the pressure regulator but have not tested it yet..

yes retested same thing o-ring blow out

As far as I know, the maximum pressure the pump can generate on it's own without regulation is only about 78 PSI. I guess it's possible but even at 78 PSI, I would not expect the o-rings to blow out. It almost leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the O-ring seal surface (housing) which allows room for the o-ring to creep out. Having an o-ring "blow out" is so rare if the captive groove they are placed in is the proper size. O-rings are used at extreme PSI pressures with no problems. Could it be the plastic holder is distorted or out of shape?

Also at this point we don't really know what the fuel pressure is because it has never been measured. We assume it is correct because the regulator was replaced and it's assumed that the new regulator is not defective.
It is not easy to perform a pressure test, but it would be nice to know the pressure. At least then you will know if your dealing with a defective part or if there is something wrong with the sealing surface of the filter o-ring.

thanks hoop I was leaning toward the filter shell to, will pull it out today and check with a fine tooth comb will get back to you thanks again

Hoople you the man, just to let you know you were right on , the black plastic base not the shell was egg shaped and warped. now to see if i can buy just that piece and not the whole tank cap thanks again for all your help:newsmile036:

they dont sell it by itself so just spent 168.00 to replace everything:newsmile08:

got it all back together got my t-adapter made up for fuel pressure gauge fired right up holds a solid 60 psi, 50 mile test ride all is good thank all for your input:bigsmiley11:

Back