free website stats program Question about break-in period? | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about break-in period?

martysnarf

My apologies if this should be in the Tech Forum, but it's kinda general so I wasn't sure...

For you tech-folks out there, do you recommend waiting until after the initial "break-in period" for a new bike before changing out the air filter and pipes to a Stage 1, or is it fine to do brand-new? Thoughts?? Any pluses or minuses to either scenario? I have been wondering about this for some time, and wanted to get some opinions.

THANKS!

You can do it at any time without a problem. CVO bikes come from the factory with low restriction intake and better mufflers than stockers. Also come with synthetic oil too from the factory.

Yeah I agree with Hobbit. To each their own. I am of a different mind set though I say wait until after 1k just in case something goes wrong with the bike in the meantime. The chances of something happening is higher during break-in than after. The only different is that you'll have a bunch of money wrapped up in the bike while it is sitting at the dealer waiting to get fixed.

I got a new '08 Road King last month. My bike needed a clutch adjustment when I got home. There was 5/8" of free play. There was also a gremlin with the fast idle. Not the set by turning on off 3 times. I ended up doing a full service at 300, then again at 1000. It took another 1000 for it to settle in. It now idles and shifts correctly.
flhrrider

I got a new '08 Road King last month. My bike needed a clutch adjustment when I got home. There was 5/8" of free play. There was also a gremlin with the fast idle. Not the set by turning on off 3 times. I ended up doing a full service at 300, then again at 1000. It took another 1000 for it to settle in. It now idles and shifts correctly.
flhrrider

And there you go. If you start putting a pipes, intake, EFI mgmt on the bike it is just another thing the stealer will use as an excuse. That is unless the stealer put the crap on the bike then they'll probably blame it on user error, LOL

And there you go. If you start putting a pipes, intake, EFI mgmt on the bike it is just another thing the stealer will use as an excuse. That is unless the stealer put the crap on the bike then they'll probably blame it on user error, LOL

+1. Thats really the only potential downside to modifying a brand new motorcycle.

Proper break-in depends more on the rider and how the bike is operated during the initial period as well as ensuring that all fluids are changed out following the initial break-in. That, and don't lug the engine. The 96" likes to spin...:D

I bought my SG off the floor with 1 mile on the clock and all the Stage I stuff installed. No problems to report.

+1. Thats really the only potential downside to modifying a brand new motorcycle.

Proper break-in depends more on the rider and how the bike is operated during the initial period as well as ensuring that all fluids are changed out following the initial break-in. That, and don't lug the engine. The 96" likes to spin...:D
I bought my SG off the floor with 1 mile on the clock and all the Stage I stuff installed. No problems to report.

Back