free website stats program Question about Arlen Ness Big Sucker | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about Arlen Ness Big Sucker

So I have a 08 Street Bob and I just had new pipes installed and I told them I wanted the Stage 1 Big Sucker.

I picked the bike up today and rode it home. I knew they were going to use the factory air filter cover since they told me it would fit.

However as I rode home it dawned on me. Every Big Sucker pic I've seen is the big circular filter with the maroon colored K&N filter in it.

So I took a closer look when I got home. The filter that they used is white in color and it's not a circle. It's oval shaped, fitting the overall shape of the factory cover in style. So my question is, IS this a big sucker or not?

If not, I'll have to have them replace it and do the dyno-tune all over again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what a Big Sucker should be:

AN18-803%20AN18-496.jpg

The one I have on now doesn't look like that at all. It's not as wide and the filter itself is white and oval shaped. The factory "football" cover fits over it, but the black piece that was on the factory filter isn't there anymore.

Any ideas what's up with this? Thanks.

Re: Question about the Big Sucker..

It's not round...it's oval-ish.

I'm going to see if i can find a Hex-wrench big enough to take the cover off and take a picture.

I'll be (edit)if they didn't even put the Big Sucker on. I'll make them fix it and redo the dyno-tune.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Arlen Ness Big Sucker on my '07 FXST and it looks just like the picture....round backing plate and Round air filter. It's not a KN but it's very similar.

Ok I'm (edit)

I took the cover off and low and behold it's definitely not the Big Sucker.

It's a Screamin' Eagle filter. It's got the HD logo on it and the part number that comes up 29385-08, which upon doing a google search actually comes up in a K&N PDF where they list it as a part to be replaced by their filter.

So yes, I'm going to the shop tomorrow and demanding that they replace it with the Big Sucker w/K&N filter that I specifically asked for. also going to make them redo the dyno-tune regardless if they tell me I don't need it. I didn't pay for the Race Tuner and Dyno-tune just to be set to the wrong part.

:bigsmiley19:

Here's the pics of the SE filter they put on instead...I'm going in first thing tomorrow and making them put in the Big Sucker and I'm going to make them redo the dyno-tune for the right setup. They won't like it and I'm sure they'll tell me the SE filter is just as good, blah blah but I don't care. I have the order sheet with the Big Sucker listed and paid for...and I want the look of the round, exposed filter with a circle cover on it, not the oval thing with the factory cover. Period.

SE_Air1.jpg

SE_Air2.jpg

Ditto what Hobbit said but this is happening all the time.Stealers think we dont know the difference.But it looks like you are on top of this.

Talked to service guy today. He said it definitely was a mistake and he said "I'm not sure why that mistake was made..." and that I can just bring the bike in first thing Monday and they'll swap it out with the Big Sucker. When I asked if it would need tuned all over again he said, "I don't know about that, but I'll make sure our guy has a look at it."

So it sounds like they realize they messed up and will make it right.

The Ness "closed" style using the factory Hamcan cover is round your 09 has a new shape and it is unlikly the cover will work with the Ness round filter

Back