free website stats program Put fire in the wire or stock replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Put fire in the wire or stock replacement

Rhys

I was thumbing throught the pages of my favorite wish book, and looked at ciols and wires. I was wondering if there is any benefit to adding a hot coil and better wires. Im not interested in the performance aspect of the coil and wires, I know it will burn the fuel more efficently. But will it raise the temp on the pistions and heads, or take away from the longjevity to not jusify getting them. Will a aftermarket coil last as long as stock. Would it be better to just change the plugs and get a nice set of wires and forget the coil?
So what do you think????

You benifit most from high output coils with a high compression engine. If you have the high output coils you will need the thicker insulated spark plug wires to keep the voltage from shorting. Other wise a stock engine doesn't need anything more for a spark
Ken

Check to see if your stock 2007 coil has (4) primary wires. I am pretty sure it does, which means it has Ion-sense knock detect. You don't want to eliminate that feature. If you go with an aftermarket, ask before you buy.

You'll do fine with stock plugs and if you want, fatter insulated wires. Try to stay as close as possible with stock resistance. You can Google how coils work and get some really interesting reading. Too much to post here. Hope this helps!
wilks3

So correct me if Im understanding this wrong. I dont need a hotter coil. But a set of fatter wires with a correct resitance, and a good set of plugs will do just fine. What brand of plug, I was told HD plugs are the best to stick with them.
Thanks guys

You benefit most from high output coils with a high compression engine. If you have the high output coils you will need the thicker insulated spark plug wires to keep the voltage from shorting. Other wise a stock engine doesn't need anything more for a spark
Ken

So correct me if I'm understanding this wrong. I don't need a hotter coil. But a set of fatter wires with a correct resistance, and a good set of plugs will do just fine. What brand of plug, I was told HD plugs are the best to stick with them.
Thanks guys

Kemo hit the nail on the head here with his post. The HD plugs will work just fine as wilks3 mentioned.

The higher compression engines need a hotter spark to fire off the mixture better. The stock engine compressions are fine with the stock HD plugs and coil. If you replace the wires the correct resistance that is mentioned above is necessary to retain the ION sensing feature that is used in the Delphi systems.

Don't be fooled by all the claims of added horse power and rideabilty changes these people offer. Stock is just fine for most bikes unless you have big inch race motors. If you added up all the advantages most of these people claim you would have a bazillion horse power, JMO

I have a bazillion HP in my bike, I run a K&N filter and blue bikes are faster anyway. :lolrolling

Back