free website stats program Pushrods | Harley Davidson Forums

Pushrods

Redfish-Joe

Fixing to change cams in the near future and I am wondering which pushrods to use. I have used the SE rods in the past with no problems but some members have reported the nuts cracking on them. I'm open to suggestion. Thanks!!:majesty

Fixing to change cams in the near future and I am wondering which pushrods to use. I have used the SE rods in the past with no problems but some members have reported the nuts cracking on them. I'm open to suggestion. Thanks!!:majesty

Joe I've got the SE rods in both bikes with no problems.

I'm leaning that way. Like I said I have used them in the past with no problems myself.

I use the SE Slender Taper pushrods and set them on the SE 255 cams at 3 full turns on "O" marking on the pushrod and 4 flats and LOCK NUT....
Starting out with using "O" lash against the lifter (hand tight)...

Mine Sounds like a sewing machine...:D
Allow enough time for bleed down after each lifter is adjusted and Don't Hurry this process...... It is a 550 lift cam.. NICE

signed....BUBBIE

I use the SE Slender Taper pushrods and set them on the SE 255 cams at 3 full turns on "O" marking on the pushrod and 4 flats and LOCK NUT....
Starting out with using "O" lash against the lifter (hand tight)...

Mine Sounds like a sewing machine...:D
Allow enough time for bleed down after each lifter is adjusted and Don't Hurry this process...... It is a 550 lift cam.. NICE

signed....BUBBIE

I'm not following what you did exactly. Did you go 3 full turns and an additional 4 flats??? I put the same pushrods on mine and the instructions said to go 2 1/2 turns. I did that and a month later went an additional 1/2 turn, for a total of 3 turns now. Snugged the lock nuts real good, and didn't crack them. I'm just now starting to hear some noises I didn't hear before. I did the cam tensioner conversion and new cams early in the spring and just wondering why I'd be hearing strange noises now. You wouldn't set the pushrods differently for different size cams would you??? My bike still runs great, just not sure why it's starting to make weird noises now. I hear ticking from the top end and almost sounds like something is loose in the cam chest. Not running any hotter than it used to, so I'm assuming its getting oil to the top. I'll wait til this winter and tear into it again, unless it gets worse before then. Might even go to gear drive cams.

I just ordered the fuelmoto pushrods and install kit to put 255's in my bike...

I will be doing the install myself after several hours in cyberspace and the service manual.

Also, there is a YouTube video, 59 minutes long by J&P Cycles and S&S that gives a great overview of a cam install and pushrod adjusting and theory..

I am not sure of the rules for posting a link, so I wont. A plain language Google search will bring the video up.

YES, I use the 3 Full and Four flats. No More.. Lifters lube the upper just fine using this setting.. there is No Klankety-Klank as 2.5 to 3 did...

yes, the adjustment for the push rods are Different and YOU may Not have the SE SLENDER Tapers...

I don't have my Original instructions around but the thread size COULD be different on yours and mine...

IF they adjust and turn easily after they are set No Harm then... I only know What i Just did (3 full and 4 flats.) to get them quiet and working good..:D

signed....BUBBIE

I'm sure the SE should be fine. Baisley tapered pushrods come with a double lock nut, and are tapered to prevent any contact to the pushrod tubes just in case you want to check them out.

Baisley Hi-Performance Twin Cam Pushrods Product

YES, I use the 3 Full and Four flats. No More.. Lifters lube the upper just fine using this setting.. there is No Klankety-Klank as 2.5 to 3 did...

yes, the adjustment for the push rods are Different and YOU may Not have the SE SLENDER Tapers...

I don't have my Original instructions around but the thread size COULD be different on yours and mine...

IF they adjust and turn easily after they are set No Harm then... I only know What i Just did (3 full and 4 flats.) to get them quiet and working good..:D

signed....BUBBIE

I've got the SE Slender Tapers. The newest ones SE came out with. Maybe I'll go another 3-4 flats this weekend and see if that makes any difference. Does the only oil getting to the top end come up the pushrods, or is there another way oil flows to the top also??? Has been making noise from the cam chest for about a month now, but just this past weekend I started hearing a ticking from the top. Not sure whats causing that, but like I said, it's still running great and not getting any hotter than normal. I don't have an oil pressure gauge on my bike, but the oil light doesn't come on, except at startup, so I know it's working.
Thanks.

I've got the SE Slender Tapers. The newest ones SE came out with. Maybe I'll go another 3-4 flats this weekend and see if that makes any difference. Does the only oil getting to the top end come up the pushrods, or is there another way oil flows to the top also??? Has been making noise from the cam chest for about a month now, but just this past weekend I started hearing a ticking from the top. Not sure whats causing that, but like I said, it's still running great and not getting any hotter than normal. I don't have an oil pressure gauge on my bike, but the oil light doesn't come on, except at startup, so I know it's working.
Thanks.

The last time apart on my bike, ONE, the front exhaust pushrod was set off the proper low spot(coming up on the cam and not at the full bottom):(

It was noisy and I knew just what I did... I pulled that cover and Re-placed the lifter on the low spot on the cam for proper setting.......
Totally loosened pushrod so it would be accurate. I did the "O" lash and then turned out to 3 full and four flats. tightened lock nut..

ALLOW FULL TIME TO BLEED Before you start motor......:naughty

Yes,,,,,the lifter Spits the tube full and it is the only lube your top end sees.... IF you replace the lifter with TOO TIGHT and a Not Functioning adjustment,,,, No OIL.

signed....BUBBIE

Back