free website stats program Protect Windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

Protect Windshield

HD4ME!

Need some help here gang. Some time ago I came across a product that will protect the windshield from getting scratched from the windshield bag. It was some sort of plastic you peal and stick to the inside of the windshield. Not the entire windshield just the part that is in contact with the windshield bag. Now that I am going to order a new windshield I cant find it. Funny how that happens :eam

Has anyone seen this product before?

Thanks in advance

I have not seen that specific product. I use some flat 1" black foam weather strip (home type, not auto). I stick the adhesive side to the back of my windshield bags. The black foam is not noticeable from the front, and it lasts a long time. I also put some on the inside fairing ledge where the bags sit to prevent rattles.

Just go to a welding supply store or a paint supply store and buy a tear off for a face mask,cut it to size and stick it on.They are basically the same material used on race car windshields and will stay on until you want to remove them and they barely leave any residue.What they do leave can be removed with a damp cloth.

Just go to a welding supply store or a paint supply store and buy a tear off for a face mask,cut it to size and stick it on.They are basically the same material used on race car windshields and will stay on until you want to remove them and they barely leave any residue.What they do leave can be removed with a damp cloth.

This is a great idea!

Thanks for the ideas. I contacted John at Freedom Shields, told him I was going to purchase one of his windshields and told him what I was looking for in order to prevent the windshield from getting scratched from my bag. He told me he had some peal and stick clear Teflon I could have. :D I believe this is exactly what I was looking for. Once I receive it look for pictures and a full report from me.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

There is also some stuff you put on under camper shells or bed covers...its clear plastic and comes in a roll...cant remember the name but it protects the top of the bed on pick up trucks

That clear adhesive based plastic is used by HD as OEM to protect the painted fender from the seat. If it is offered/recommended by the windshield vendor, I would say that is a pretty good endorsement. :D

First, excellent web site! I discovered it by searching on how to protect my windshield bag from scratching the windshield, just purchased 2013 Heritage Softail and I wouldn't have realized this problem if it weren't for this site. Anyway I chose the rubber stick-em idea (rubber bumpers used for cabinets), I found a couple of sizes and they self stick to the windshield. There's enough pressure from the bag sitting on them plus the adhesive that I don't think they'll move. Gives about an 1/8th of an inch clearance between the bag and window. Plan on keeping a close eye on this....really don't want a scratched windshield because of something I could prevent.

Back