free website stats program Proper use of the transmission dipstick? | Harley Davidson Forums

Proper use of the transmission dipstick?

upright

What is the correct way to use the transmission dipstick on a '98 Road King? I read in the manual where it says to let the dipstick rest on the threads. My question is: Should I let the dipstick drop (as if trying to touch the bottom) or should I hold the dipstick in the "ready to thread it" position to get my reading?

Thanks,
Craig

Hold it in the ready to thread position. That's the way I have always done it. When you change the trans fluid, check it and then mark the stick. This way you will have the full level. Also, the bike must be upright (not in on the jiffy stand) when checking it.

I have the same question for the Sporty.
I have heard some say do it with the bike on the stand and some with the bike upright. Should it really be done with the oil hot?

Hold it in the ready to thread position. That's the way I have always done it. When you change the trans fluid, check it and then mark the stick. This way you will have the full level. Also, the bike must be upright (not in on the jiffy stand) when checking it.

Thanks for the info. Here's why I'm asking: I changed the trans fluid and poured 24 ounces of Shockproof back in. With the stick in the "ready to thread" position, the fluid isn't even on the stick. However, with the stick resting on the threads but "hanging down", it reads overfull. I'm taking readings with the bike upright.

Am doing something wrong?

Check your manual for the proper amount of oil for the trans.

The dipstick should rest on the threads as If it is ready to screw in for an accurate measurement. Also check the manual for the proper oil checking procedure, most are done straight up but double check it.

Thanks for the response!

I have a 2000 dyna and find that SHOCK PROOF HEAVY (redline) doesn't move fast when cool....so I pick a method that is the same each time

I found where it rest on my kick-stand with it full and go from there.... I know it is full after a change and just use the dip-stick in the most comfortable position JUST SO IT IS DONE THE SAME NEXT CHECK. I have NEVER had to add any to the trany AND using REDLINE,, NEVER a piece of metal found on the magnet. I have over 30,000 on a 6 speed conversion and love it... thanks to redline shockproof heavy......

signed....BUBBIE

A tip I found with the Redline shockproof heavy. Sit the bottle in HOT water before you start to drain the trans, flows much better out of the bottle.:D

It's a great product all around, only thing I didn't like about it is that in very cold weather, it takes a few blocks to shift OK because of the viscosity and the colder temps. That's why I changed to the Spectro platinum.

Manual says:
"place motorcycle on jiffy stand"

"dipstick should rest on top thread of filler hole"

Al

Back