free website stats program problems with my bag latches | Harley Davidson Forums

problems with my bag latches

ridin88ci

I dont really know what the problem is but when I hit a bump or get lots of raod vibration the latches on my hard bags open....its worse on the right side but the left does it too.....my electra glide never g=had a problem with this but it was also newer.....is there an adjustment for these or do I need to buy new latches???

You can by replacement springs at your HD dealer. They are not hard to replace but it is tedious.

If the springs are rusty, you can try lubing them with some motor oil. It worked for me and the bags stay latched.

If, before you lift the lid off the bag, the latch "overcenters and stays in the unfolded position, the spring is broken. It is a little coil spring on one of the hinge pins and is hidden by the fabric snubber. The hinge pin can be pulled out of the hinge, the welding at one end of the hinge is NOT welded to the hinge pin, but functions as a stop on that end. On the opposite end of the hinge, the hinge is bent slightly flat. Using a flat blade screw driver to open than bend a little will allow the hinge pin to come out. The pin must be started by using needle nose pliers by the little coil spring and pushing just a little at a time, once the pin clears the end of the hinge, it can be pulled out the rest of the way. The hinge pin only NEEDS to be pulled out far enough to release the old spring and allow you to insert the new one. Then push the pin back in. It is a "fiddly" job which may well try your patience. My replacement springs were $1.79 each from the dealer. Many believe that surface rust causes the springs to break, I think it is fatigue. Keeping a film of oil on the springs may lengthen the time before the next failure. OR, lock the bag before you ride.

If, before you lift the lid off the bag, the latch "overcenters and stays in the unfolded position, the spring is broken. It is a little coil spring on one of the hinge pins and is hidden by the fabric snubber. The hinge pin can be pulled out of the hinge, the welding at one end of the hinge is NOT welded to the hinge pin, but functions as a stop on that end. On the opposite end of the hinge, the hinge is bent slightly flat. Using a flat blade screw driver to open than bend a little will allow the hinge pin to come out. The pin must be started by using needle nose pliers by the little coil spring and pushing just a little at a time, once the pin clears the end of the hinge, it can be pulled out the rest of the way. The hinge pin only NEEDS to be pulled out far enough to release the old spring and allow you to insert the new one. Then push the pin back in. It is a "fiddly" job which may well try your patience. My replacement springs were $1.79 each from the dealer. Many believe that surface rust causes the springs to break, I think it is fatigue. Keeping a film of oil on the springs may lengthen the time before the next failure. OR, lock the bag before you ride.
I just inspected the springs on my latches and they are both broke....looks like I gotta make a trip to the stealer......I dont have bag locks or I would for sure just lock them....

There is one other thing you can do, but when I tried it, I didn't like it. At the bottom of the hinge mechanism mounted on the bag are two sheet metal spring steal J pieces (in the recess where the latch mounts). They can be bent upward slightly to make a friction contact with hinge at the bottom of the latch cover, when the cover is in the latched position and can be made to keep the latches from popping up. Whether you replace the spring or not, this little adjustment makes the latch harder to pop out of the latched position, I don't like the added effort to pop the latch out of the latched position, but it helps keep them closed.

Back