free website stats program problems shifting | Harley Davidson Forums

problems shifting

FOBOS

Hello all. Thanks for all your responses concerning my windshield issue. Now I have a question with regard to my shifting. When I'm shifting into third gear, it sometimes seems does not go in fully (making a sorta grinding noise and feel.)

I have been trying to make sure the clutch is all the way in, but sometimes I know that I don't fully pull the lever. Has anyone else ever had problems with shifting into upper gears? And if so, what are some of the fixes or things I may be doing wrong?

Thanks a million in advance. P.S. the bike has forward controls (I don't know if they are aftermarket, I bought the bike used.)

anytime I have had that, i just put a little more ooomph into the shift next time.

and pull the lever all the way :)

it may need a slight adjustment on the shifter rod from the forwards should be a bolt that makes the rod longer or shorter

I agree with Hobbit. Many think they have a shifting problem when in fact it is the throw of the lever that is off not raising it high enough. Remember your foot travels downward more than upward so you have to compensate for that by adjusting the shift linkage. If it is far off then you have to move the shift lever on the splined shaft after removing the bolt and reposition it down a spline.

OK, so if I put more mustard into the shift (really pulling up with my foot) and it doesn't have a problem shifting, then it may be the trow or position of the shifter?

I really hope that is all that the issue is. And I will also remember to fully engage the clutch lever also:)

well so far you've posted about not pulling the clutch lever all the way,
and 'sometimes' it doesnt go fully in,
so it doesnt sound like a constant problem.

Maybe the next few days concentrate a bit more on the shifting, make sure
the clutch is always in, maybe adjust the shift lever down one or two splines so you get
better contact when upshifting, and see how that goes.

I still grind a gear once a month or so, but for me I know I got lazy with the shift,
nothing more.

More uumph(???). I usually get that missed gear effect when I'm downshifting. Just be more aware of your pressure when shifting:small3d015:

Back