free website stats program Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem

Guys I am having problems with my 2003 (FLHCU). When it gets hot (about 6 miles on a +70 day) the speedo gets erratic then my engine won't run at low rpm.

I'm thinking the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). Do you also have problems with your blinkers not canceling?
Have you checked for codes?
Some have success cleaning them off, it is a magnetic pick-up and can get full of metal dust-but if its bad its bad.

I had the stealership replace the VSS last year and I replaced the main breaker with a fuse but still the problem persists. As for checking codes I don't know how to do that, is that a dealer thing? thanks
edit: The turn signals work as advertised.

Last edited:
I had the stealership replace the VSS last year and I replaced the main breaker with a fuse but still the problem persists. As for checking codes I don't know how to do that, is that a dealer thing? thanks
edit: The turn signals work as advertised.

Look here:
http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-729.html

So are you saying the VSS has been replaced and the original problem was never fixed from last year?

Maybe a connector problem at the speedo, inspect-clean-dielectric grease.

Just cleaned my IAC (it has vary dirty). Inspected my VVS it was good. Is there something else that is temperature sensitive? I don't really want to pull the fairing, but that looks like the next step.

My 03 ultra had same issues. Speedo worked intermittent. At one point speedo would stop working when I had to turn handle bars to the left. Would work when I turned them to the right. This would also effect the turn signals and radio volume. All 3 wires to VSS were broken just in front of the steering neck. I believe that the best way to check all 3 would be to unplug the wires connector at the speedometer.Then check for continuity between all 3 wires, also turn forks all the way left and right checking all 3 at each position. If you find any open wires they will probably broken 3 to 8" from the metal P-strap at the neck of the frame. You will have to open up the vinyl sleeve that covers the wires coming from the frame where it makes its first bend, they will be Black #7( at the speedometer connector), Red #8, & White #9. As you find them and can seperate them from the group of wires flex them slowly along the exposed wires looking for a spot with a sharp bend in the insulation. This is where the wire is broken. Check all 3 wires. Broken wires should be spliced (soldered & heat shrink) several inches before and after spot where the actual break was found and with a slight amount of slack.

OK guys I tried the code thing with the speedo. What I got doesn't make sense to me. I got do1 through do9 clear, then PPU, then 82883. Any ideas?.

Did the speedo code thing, no luck on the test plug. I got do1 through do9 clear then PPU then 82883. I don't get it. Anyone see this before? I'm running out of ideas.:newsmile07:

Never mind just found out 82883 doesn't mean anything. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by a moderator:
The codes d01-d09 are speedo codes only. To ck. for ECM codes ck. out the link in post #5. If shorting out the pins per the instructions make sure the Run/Kill switch is in Run position before turning on main ign. Switch. Wait for the Ck. Eng. light to start flashing. If it doesn't then I have another that may work.
tourbox

Is the bike moving when the speedo is acting up or is it parked?

If parked and speedo is acting up, and I'm kinda fishin' here, but could it be low system voltage..?? Bad battery or charging system?
You said it acts up after about 6 miles or warmed up...maybe bat is getting drained.

#1 here is worth checking at least:
Harley Davidson Forums

Back