free website stats program Problem With GPS Install | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem With GPS Install

Guitar4Him

I got a new 2011 Ultra Classic this week. Last night I embarked on the install of my new Garmin Zumo 665. Everything went pretty smooth...I tapped off the cigarette lighter for power and put the XM antenna on top of the radio. I wanted to have a really clean installation so I decided to use a very thin cable with a right-angle end to connect to the AUX port on the front of the radio. The plan was to route the cable beside the radio bezel, leaving very little wire exposed. To accomplish this, I had to get the radio free and move it back enough to have clearance to route the cable through to the front. There are 4 screws that hold the radio in place. I removed them, moved the radio back and routed the cable. Then, the fun began. It was relatively easy to get the 2 screws closest to the rear of the radio back in. However, the front 2 screws proved to be impossible. I worked for over 2 hours, trying every trick I could come up with to get them back in. Unfortunately, I was not successful. I'm hoping that the 2 installed screws will be sufficient to hold the radio securely but I'd really like to get it back in correctly. Is there some trick to removing and re-installing the radio? At this point, I've pretty much given up. I do have to take the bike back to the dealer sometime next week to get the Rinehart true duals and airbox installed and get it dyno-tuned. I suspect that I could get the folks there to finish the installation but that would be pretty embaressing. Any suggestions?

BTW...the GPS/XM install looks and works great. It really adds a lot of capability (GPS, XM radio, MP3 player and bluetooth cell phone control).

Ken
2011 Electra-Glide Ultra Classic (Cool Blue Pearl)

For jobs like that I sometimes use a telescoping magnet to start the fastener and then the proper tool to finish. Just make sure you dont cross thread.

You should have all four screws securing the radio, lot of vibs up there.

I know those can be a bear, tiny fingers help...:newsmile108:

Oh and wecome to the site..

A telescoping magnet wand was one of the things I tried. It's just difficult (or almost impossible) to get in there to the 2 screws closest to the handlebars. I suspect there is some other "trick" to getting it installed.

Ken
2011 Ultra Classic (Cool Blue Pearl)

Nope, no trick I know of, its just a really tight spot.

But I do remove the 2 outrigger braces for more room and leave all screws loose untill all 4 are started, that way you can wiggle the radio around to get a good bite on the threads.

I always use a ball end allen wrench...If you will notice there is a hole in each side of the radio bracket that you can use to access the screws with the ball end wrench...I hope this helps.

Here's an idea if you haven't tried it already... magnetic screw driver, or a "Holding" screw driver.

Since I have been researching all variations of this on the cell phone side...How does your setup work on calls?
Are they routed through your headset via the Zumo?
Is the quality of the calls adequate?

I have a link to the V-Twin forum where I have been getting responses from...

I had to add the Bomm interface to get the call capability working completely. Previously, I could hear callers but they couldn't hear me. The Bomm added the additional capability that my headset mic now works with the phone setup to allow callers to hear me. Here's a link for the Bomm interface....

dubya-dubya-dubya-dot-hdbomm-dot-com (I have a low post count)

Here's how things work....

I have the Zumo 665 mounted in the bike cradle and have the audio cable from that cradle plugged into the "Aux" jack on the front of my H-K radio. My DroidX connects, via Bluetooth, to the Zumo 665. A new "phone" icon will appear on the menu screen of the Zumo once the bluetooth connection has been made. Tapping the phone icon will bring up a new screen with many subfeatures allowing you to access the phone. Included are such things as phonebook, call history, call home and status. You can make calls from the Zumo by using the dialpad, phonebook or call history. Additionally, if you have a point-of-interest that includes a phone number, you can place a call directly from the POI screen. This is really handy when you're out on the road.

As far as audio is concerned, you have a couple of options. You can listen to the caller through the external speakers (fairing & rear) or through your headset speakers. Either way, the caller will hear you through the headset microphone. Additionally, if you have a passenger on the bike with a headset, they can also hear the caller through their headset or the external speakers. Depending on how you install the Bomm interface, you can also make it possible for both rider and passenger to be able to talk to the caller through the headset microphones.

The audio quality is quite good. I have the H-D Boom! headset in a full-face Shoe helmet. Several callers have commented that they couldn't tell I was on the bike. The audio coming from the caller either through the headset or through the external speakers is great.

I know that using a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle is a very controversial subject. Personally, I don't use mine much when on the bike. My job requires me to be accessible by cell phone in case emergencies come up. This setup has really made that possible and easy.

I have my cell phone blue toothed into my Zumo 550. All calls go thru the riders and passengers head sets. It works great. The trick is to not put the mic very close to your mouth.

Here is the link to plug and play the cell phone with the zumo's. The best $99.00 I spent on the 2011 Ultra yet. I use it daily.

NT1K100.JPG

Home

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a link to the Bomm interface while researching and was going to try and locate a user, so Thanks!...

I am trying to compare this setup to the J&M integration unit they sell for HD's Ultra's...their system allows a cell connection without a GPS but has connection for a GPS and radar units to be heard through the HD headsets.

When you figure the cost of a Zumo GPS and Bomm unit and compare to J&M, with lower cost GPS w/BT that can be connected, they all figure cost wise at about the same.

Guess I am stumped again.

Unless someone has heard anything good or bad about the J&M Cell Phone/GPS/Radar Integration kit...

Back