free website stats program Problem with Center Stand Install | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem with Center Stand Install

N4NWD

In November of 2009 - I purchased a used 2006 Softtail and ordered a center stand for it. The stand that I got (dealer chose the part number) was the 98955-07.

I figure how hard can it be to install something that takes 4 bolts.

I still do not have it installed.

The bike does have a set of vance & hines pipes.

Any suggestions before I go crawling to the dealer?

*** Also - this is my 2nd Harley and I am not up on the FL????? language.
How can I tell which one I have?

Thanks for any/all non-laughing replies :)

*** Also - this is my 2nd Harley and I am not up on the FL????? language.
How can I tell which one I have?

:)

Good question. Don't know if it applies to you but the book says #98955-07 fits 00-07 Softail models except FLSTS and FLSTSC.

Yeah - I had saw that - When I purchased the bike - they had it listed as an "FXST" - then later I got a notice from my lender that according to the VIN - I had an "FXSTI" - so according to that I should still be good - but the stand is still on the shelf :(

Center stands are generallly for the annointed Touring bike riders...I would be very surprised to see one for a Dyna, much less a Sportster...:bigsmiley15:

OK - I broke down and took the bike and center stand to the Local Dealership and paid the one hour labor rate for them to install it.

It is complete.

So - at this point - I am happier with my bike - will have to work 4hours of overtime to pay for the install :(

A lesson to remember - Just because it is only four bolts doesn't mean it is easy to install :)

OK - I broke down and took the bike and center stand to the Local Dealership and paid the one hour labor rate for them to install it.

It is complete.

So - at this point - I am happier with my bike - will have to work 4hours of overtime to pay for the install :(

A lesson to remember - Just because it is only four bolts doesn't mean it is easy to install :)

If you can, try to post some pictures...I for one am very pleased to find out that a centerstand is available for a Dyna...now if only I could convince the missus...:newsmile100:

After purchasing my new 2009 FXSTC I also bought the center stand(from the harley catalog no less) and starting at 4:30 PM one afternoon I removed my muffler system and from about 5:00 until 11:00 PM that evening I tried everything I could think of to make this center stand fit but it was either one side bolted up and the oppsite side was just a hair short of making unless I used my drill press to ream either set of holes in order for the stand to fit and therefore work, and after about 10 mins of debating wether or not to modify the stand I said to myself(and eventually to the harley parts counter man) for $329 and change this stand should jump into place and this ordeal would not have been an ordeal but mearly a 45 min installation! I took back the stand, explained the problem ,told the parts guy I wanted my entire amount of money back(h-d has a 25% restock fee) and the guy gave me a FULL refund but the bottom line is this piece of junk didn't fit and I can only think it didn't fit because of faulty fabricating!

I bought the easy up Wheeldock center stand. It was $199 and installed in 10 minutes with just 1 bolt. Well worth the money.

Back