free website stats program Problem w/ clutch cable after adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem w/ clutch cable after adjustment

2blueking

I adjusted my clutch per the service manual(cable & primary -cold).After the adjustment,the clutch pull was VERY stiff,did not feel right.I went to adjust again,when I pulled the handle 3 times (called for in the manual),I heard a kind of pop.There is now no movement of the cable when pulling the handle.I pulled apart the adjuster to see if the cable was broke(pulling from in between the adjuster)& it was not.Opened the dipstick plug on the tranny,but could not see much.Could the cable end have popped out of the keeper or whatever it's called?

Quite possible that the cable end knob was not in the holder/clevis properly when it was installed, and hopefully just slipped out. Only way is to pull the primary cover off very carefully and see. Worst thing of course is the cable end knob broke off from the cable...it is fairly old or could have been cut by something rubbing.

There was another thing, seem to recall that there was a service bulletin that the dipstick if nearby could rub against the cable or rough internal casting that could eventually cut thru metal dipstick or cable on earlier baggers, but probably my late afternoon after dinner memory (crazy weekend). :small3d012:

CAble end slipped off.Got it back to normal...whewww.Good weather is here this week & I didn't want to miss out.!!!

Back