free website stats program problem sound | Harley Davidson Forums

problem sound

Dan o

hey everyone im new here and my name is dano.i have a softail that was built from parts. its a 2006 heritage frame with heritage tins and has a 1340 evo 99 motor i had a harley 5 speed tranny in it but second gear was messed up.the guy who built it said he can get me a ultima 6 speed at his cost.so i did.he put the six speed in and when i hit the throttle it made a nasty sound like something was shifting like metal on metal.he checked everything and swore it was the trans.so we got another one.he put it in and of course the same sound.we checked the primary and clutch hub and cant figure it out noone knows please help

I may be way off base here but I thought you needed a Twin Cam block and TC tranny case for a TC frame. The Evo frames(softails) have a center post and cross member in them that have the rear engine mounts and front tranny tabs that the trans mounting plate bolts to it. The Evo block and tranny are separate and the TC's block and tranny case bolt together. How did he get around that??

Last edited:
i honestly dont know but i can tell you that the harley 5 speed worked just fine.so im not sure.the frame is made by ultima so it may be set up for the evo.im really just trying to get to the bottom of this i cant enjoy riding cuz im just waiting for something bad to happen so thanks for replying

i honestly dont know but i can tell you that the harley 5 speed worked just fine.so im not sure.the frame is made by ultima so it may be set up for the evo.im really just trying to get to the bottom of this i cant enjoy riding cuz im just waiting for something bad to happen so thanks for replying

OK ,I thought you meant an 06 HD frame...explains that...did you find any metal shavings anywhere....in the tranny or primary??

no shavings found but i was talking to a guy and he asked me if the tranny was shimmed.he was saying that because the frame and tranny are aftermarket the trans may have to be shimmed.so i stopped by the shop today and asked the guy who built my bike about shimming the trans and i told him that it might not be inline with the primary if its not shimmed right.so he tells me that the way he installs them is he puts the tranny in loose and puts it through the primary to make sure its good than goes back and tightens everything.i honestly dont know what to do anymore

no shavings found but i was talking to a guy and he asked me if the tranny was shimmed.he was saying that because the frame and tranny are aftermarket the trans may have to be shimmed.so i stopped by the shop today and asked the guy who built my bike about shimming the trans and i told him that it might not be inline with the primary if its not shimmed right.so he tells me that the way he installs them is he puts the tranny in loose and puts it through the primary to make sure its good than goes back and tightens everything.i honestly dont know what to do anymore

Sounds to me like you need a new mechanic.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with whatyardwork....Yes, you leave the engine and trans loose then bolt on the inner primary so the mating surfaces line up, but then you check to see if you need shims or not,(they don't always need them,but with aftermarket, sometimes they do) and check alignment , comp sprocket to ring gear and trans pulley to wheel pulley, everything has to be straight and true, torque it down and measure again, repeat if necessary... even if it needed to be shimmed 1/32" and wasn't you would be putting side stress on the mainshaft and bearings.
If the guy replaced your stock tranny at his cost...he's either one of the nicest guy's in the world or he messed it up.
Get a stethescope any try to isolate where the noise is coming from.
Good luck....don't give up....keep us updated.

New at this but I have a similar problem. I have an 89 soft tail springer with the 80ci 1340 and just about
11,000 miles on it. And recently when I hit the throttle I hear this almost like a rattling
From what I think is coming from the front of the primary cover.. I haven't done much bike
work but lots of car work so I am mechanically capable. Any ideas what it could be?

Back