free website stats program Problem...after 2 years, solved...It was the ECM | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem...after 2 years, solved...It was the ECM

bcortani

Hi all. well, some may remember my initial threads concerning my 08 Heritage sputtering and running on one cylinder when hot and lack of any response when throttling up. I had originally believed it was the in-tank fuel line as that was a very common issue that my series HD had and which HD handled very poorly. I replaced the in tank lines...no fix. New plugs, new wires, no fix. Last fall my bud and I pulled tank and replaced intake rings/gaskets, cleaned the intake. Pulled the injectors out and had them cleaned and tested (better than spec). Put her all back together and she ran better than ever, until hot then same issue.

Today replaced Coil, no fix. Swapped out ECM with another matching and bingo, ran great hot. We rode it hard for a few minutes after warm and it ran great. Sadly, had to give the ECM back to the original owner...:( but ordered a new one from Ronnie's for 288.00 plus 29 bucks shipping. The order was online and my mechanic said it will be programmed for the stock set up...but the email receipt showed ECM Blank...will have to call Ronnie's in morning to confirm it will at least have stock program in it.

QUESTION...Harley actually recommended Dobecks TFI. However my mechanic friend suggested before putting my TFI back on to contact Dobecks and see if they would let me send it back to them so they can test it to assure this was not the cause of the ECM failure in the first place... will they do this for me?:bigsmiley10:

By the way, I can almost feel the wind rushing by...it has been almost two years since I have had a real ride....soo excited.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
QUESTION...Harley actually recommended Dobecks TFI. However my mechanic friend suggested before putting my TFI back on to contact Dobecks and see if they would let me send it back to them so they can test it to assure this was not the cause of the ECM failure in the first place... will they do this for me?:bigsmiley10:

Don't count on them seeing this post. Call them directly and ask. Let us know what they say.

Good find, glad to hear she's running good again. Dobeck can test it for you but as stated, give them a call first. 1-877-764-3337 tech support.

OK, I am so wishy washy at times. I cancelled the order for the stock ECM as it comes blank. I thought they came at least flashed for the model you were ordering for. Harley wants the bike and another 250-300 for the flash. I ordered a Thundermax for about 60 dollars more and can take care of all the mapping myself (Saga to be continued ...lol)

I did contact Dobecks by email and they were very quick to return my message. Good news, they are providing outstanding customer service now. Per Brent at Dobecks, they will send me a warranty RMA and I cover to and from postage and they will be glad to test the Gen 3 EJK at no cost. Brent assured me that out of all the EJK's they have sold and are currently out there, he is not aware of any being directly involved with an ECM failure as basically the EJK just intercepts the signal and alters it as it passes through. As soon as my Thundermax comes in and installed, will post to sell the EJK. cross your fingers for me...lol

Any suggestions on what may have caused the ECM to fail? Bike had roughly 10k on it when problem began to surface. Other than the EJK, the only other aftermarket wired in was a set of led glow lights. That small ballast would not have enough electromagnetic interference to cause it would it?? I am sure the problem arose before the lights were installed but can't remember for sure.

Any suggestions on what may have caused the ECM to fail? Bike had roughly 10k on it when problem began to surface. Other than the EJK, the only other aftermarket wired in was a set of led glow lights. That small ballast would not have enough electromagnetic interference to cause it would it?? I am sure the problem arose before the lights were installed but can't remember for sure.

Maybe just a bad one..??

I would do some checking on the VR & stator right away to make sure all is good with the charging system.

Maybe just a bad one..??

I would do some checking on the VR & stator right away to make sure all is good with the charging system.

+1, could have been a bad one to start with but the quickest way to burn one out could very well be a bad voltage regulator or charging system.

Back