free website stats program Priming 1981 FX for kickstart | Harley Davidson Forums

Priming 1981 FX for kickstart

I have been playing around with my 1981 FX kicking her to life. Have a Hi-4 ignition on and once the fuel has reach the pistons she starts up perfect. One kick when she is started for the second time that day. Priming her is another matter..

Current routine.
Choke in fuel on starter off. 2 pumps 2 slow kicks. repeat 4 times.
Choke out fuel on starter on 2 pumps 2 slowkicks. until you feel her firing.
Choke out fuel on starter on 2 pumps a fast kick, she starts.
Middle step take some times 5 repeats.

Any suggestions?

When you do the priming kicks with the starter off do you open the throttle or leave it closed? On my old panhead I got the procedure down to two kicks with the key off and choke on, throttle open. Open the choke halfway and turn the key on and it would start on the first or second kick every time. That worked when the engine was cold, didn't have to prime or use choke when hot. Just a thought.

My '77 FXE starts on the thrid or fourth kick. Gas on, enrichener on, 2 slow kicks, throttle open about 1/2, it kick. And it starts right up.

My Shovel is usually a 2 (serious) kick cold.
S&S carb, choke on, ign. off, no squirts with the throttle, two easy kick throughs. Ign. on, throttle cracked a little, firm kick and usually success.

If you think it's flooded, hold throttle wide open and kick it through a few times. Ign. on or off doesn't really matter. Wide open throttle kicks pull almost all air, as there isn't enough velocity going over the jet to pull fuel.

I worked on a 81 Stroker shovel years ago with an S&S carb and 96 inch sidewinder kit, everyone said I Would never be able to kick it to life weighing 150 lbs, well, choke on , 1 kick with ignition off, second kick with ignition on 1/4 throttle and roared to life, very good starter:s

make sure your ignition is set for kick start.The stock carb is junk for kigk starting IMO. My stroker shovel has S&S Super on it. 2 squirts enrichener on ,bring it up to compression stroke and kick hard. Fires right up.The electric starter works better ofcourse.

And so after putting a 42mm Mikuni racing card on the Sportster I had a CV carb spare. Modify intake manifold and made some new carb brackets. And now she is a one kicker. Just have to becarfull of flooding now.:bigsmiley12:

My shovel takes three kicks cold. Gas on choke on ignition on no throttle three kicks every time unless it floods but we won't go there lol

Back