free website stats program Primary noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary noise

Fireguy

I have 1100 miles on my 2008 uc and changed the oil in the engine with mobile1. I just started hearing a noise from the primary. Sounds like a loose chain or something. Do HD have a self adjusting lensioner or is it manual. I also have not done a oil change on the tran. or primary yet.

Thank you Glider....I will give this a try soon and tell you how it goes...Glider, you are a God sent to the HD community.

don't do it in traffic of course.....you don't want anyone to have a new H-D Hood ornament:s

The problem is solved. Thank you Glider. The noise is gone. I am riding my bike easy for the few thousand miles so that idea was never done with the riding I have been doing. 1 more thing though, do you have a page for my trans and primary oil change. I have the owner manual but more info is always welcome.

I'm glad that it worked for you. Such a simple thing to do too.

If you check in the appropriate sections using the link below in this post, there's all kinds of videos in there as well as other posts on the topics you are going to do to help you out.

wouldn't it be a good Idea to pop of the Derby cover before and after that is and inspect the tension on the chain. I just took mine in yesterday because the primary chain was as tight a guitar string. and the only way to loosen it up is to pull off the primary cover, remove the tensioner and reset it. That's probably a $40 job just for oil and a gasket.:dknow

I have 1100 miles on my 2008 uc and changed the oil in the engine with mobile1. I just started hearing a noise from the primary. Sounds like a loose chain or something. Do HD have a self adjusting lensioner or is it manual. I also have not done a oil change on the tran. or primary yet.

Kind of going thru the same thing with mine. Pull your inspection plate off and reach in and up and check your play on your chain. I think it's about a half in play. Someone else could be more specific. You should also be able to stick you finger down in the spection plate hole and feel oil. I pulled my derby off and isolated my noise to the clutches. Only 24k on them. First new one for me, rode my Shovel for years. Good luck, maybe someone, as they always do, have an answer.

Back