free website stats program primary noise | Harley Davidson Forums

primary noise

beaucipher

I'm trying to identify a noise, It can only be described as sounding like. "Drr Drr Drrr" and also kind of whirring at the same time. It only happens in first through fourth, it goes away in fifth. it increases with acceleration but stops when i pull in the clutch.

1991 sport.? How many miles?

Still shares the tranny and primary clutch oil...

Have you adjusted the primary chain COLD? the noise might be the chain (too tight or too loose)... Strange though, it would not make it in 5th... Oil level okay? Belt or is that year a chain to the rear...

I have heard of the rear chain-belt making that noise also... 91 Hmmmm (belt or chain) the later I think. Either one can make the noise if Adjusted too tight mainly...

welcome to the forum.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks! It has about 12,000 miles on it. it's belt driven. I checked the chain slack and there is about 1/2 inch of play in it. it only makes the sound in 1st through 4th and gets worse as I accelerate. I can feel it to. but it stops when I press the clutch.

Does it stop immediately when you pull the clutch lever, or does it fade away as the engine RPMs drop? If it fades as the RPMs drop that indicates something engine related. If it stops immediately when the clutch lever is pulled that would indicate something transmission related. From what you have described so far, I think you have a ball bearing beginning to fail. Probably on the transmission countershaft.

Have you checked to be sure exhaust is not hitting frame any where?

no I haven't yet, but the sound immediately stops when I pull in the clutch and it stops in 5th gear. it gets worse as I accelerate.

HD91XLH014.gif
Look here Behind the cover is your tranny sprocket, if it has not been upgraded you may take a look at it

I am having a similar issue in my 91 883.

The chain was making making noise, so we took the cover off to inspect the tensioner, changed oil. Chain is in spec but the clutch assembly is making a constant rotational noise now.

Sounds like a bearing but I have to tear back into it and find out

Back