free website stats program Primary leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary leaking

TQuentin1

Staff member
I have a leak at the bottom of the seam between the inner primary and primary cover. I noticed that one of the 1/4-20 fasteners felt like it was "giving" last time I had the cover off (replacing stator I think) so I did not tighten it up too hard. I believe this fastener was over torqued when the Dealership replaced all the stuff when the drive pulley nuked and tore stuff up. See here for that story:

Bike broke - tranny! - Harley Davidson Community

So what I want to know is if any of you folks have had to work this same problem, and used a helicoil or Kingcoil to repair the fastener hole. I am worried that there may not be enough "meat" on the inner primary fastener holes to drill out for a 1/4-20 coil, since that is listed as a 17/64" drill. If you have worked this problem, let me know your solution.

I ordered another inner primary from the Dealership just in case, but at nearly $400, I would love not to take it when it comes in if possible.

Thanx,

TQ

Last edited:
$400....OUCH!!!!! I've never used the stuff Jack is talking about and I think you're right about drilling it out. Have you looked on FleaBay?

I have also used the permatex thread repair a couple of times with good results on low torque fastners, If I remember it cost under $20.00

I have used the 1/4x20 heli coils several times thru the years on inner primaries for Shovels & Evo's. I don't think a TC88 would be any different. Never had a problem,just be sure and break off the tab and blow/vacuum it out.
tourbox

why not try an allen head metric bolt, 8mm x 1.25, its just a bit larger than a standard 1/4" thread, drill it out with a bit, run in a metric tap.

i'm sure this is smaller than the heli coil and should get a good bite.

I had the same problem last year on my RK, used a heli coil without a problem and it's still holding.

Instead of 8mm why not use a 5/16-18, there is only a couple thousands difference and you can stick with standard fasteners and wrenches

Back