free website stats program Primary fluid | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary fluid

01 rk

Stopped at the local indie shop today to get some Red Line shock proof for the trans, I asked what type primary fluid he had, he recommended Red Line MTL, this is a 70-80 wt. gear oil. Just wondering if anyone out there uses MTL in their primary.
I am a little leary of putting something that heavy in with the clutch, I have been using 20-50 conventional motor oil with no problems.

I've used Redline motor oil, shockproof heavy,and MTL for years and it's the best in my opinion - The MTL is the same as their V-Twin Primary Case Oil

Quote for their site -

"V-Twin Primary Case Oil

For 1984-to-present V-Twin American motorcycle engines, including Evolution, Twin Cam, and aftermarket engines of similar design
Same fluid as our famous MTL gear oil
Improves clutch operation while reducing wear and temperature
Where most synthetics are too slippery for clutch operation, this friction-balanced product is balanced to provide less slip, smoother operation, and helps to apply more power in modified engines
This product is for use in the primary chaincase with wet-diaphragm spring clutches."

besides agreeing on the MTL or V Twin primary from Redline
a 20-50 engine oil is same as a 75-90 gear oil. for some reason they number them differently so we know which is engine and which is gear

Stopped at the local indie shop today to get some Red Line shock proof for the trans, I asked what type primary fluid he had, he recommended Red Line MTL, this is a 70-80 wt. gear oil. Just wondering if anyone out there uses MTL in their primary.
I am a little leary of putting something that heavy in with the clutch, I have been using 20-50 conventional motor oil with no problems.

Ohhh I love MTL! I took Bubbie's advise and am glad I DID!!! You will not regret!

Back