free website stats program Primary Fluid Level | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Fluid Level

skydude426

I've had my 2006 Ultra Classic for a couple of months now. It's my first Harley and a dream come true for me. I recently changed the fluids because I had no idea what was in it or how long it had been there. I've read on this and other forums that if you drain the primary and put in a quart you should be good to go. This is what I did because I found it impossable to see the bottom of the clutch basket. I even went out and bought a light thats an LED on the end of a stick so I could get a light down in there. The clutch basket is so close to the cover opening that I just don't see a way to be able to see the botom of the clutch. Is this a common problem on other models? If so how do you know if the fluid level is right? I like to be sure when I do things so this has bothered me.

As you look into the primary, you can usually see when the level just reaches the clutch basket when it curls up over the edge , then it's enough. Some measure what comes and refill with the same amount.

If you make a sort of dipstick that would rest on the edge of the case and mark it once you refill the correct level , it would simplify the measuring.

If you dumped the old pri fluild and added a qt of new, you should be good to go. I use Rotella diesel oil in my pri so it is cheap to change out. Unless you see it leaking somewhere I wouldn't worry about the level.
kemo

Always best to get the proper amount of oil in the primary IMO to prevent shifting problems and finding neutral.

Smitty, On different models (dressers, FatBoys, Dynas, etc) does it make a difference how bike is sitting when draining primary? Should these different bikes be on the jiffy stand (side kickstand leaning over) or standing straight up?
wilks3

My 2004 road glide calls for 32oz. in the primary and 20-24 oz. in the tranny.
The bike should be upright and level to check tranny fluid.
As Smitty said, just add the recommended amount in the primary.

The few ounces difference between when the fluid touches the diaphram and the full bottle on my Sporty is no big deal...I use the whole bottle of Formula+ and sleep easy at night...!:D

Back