free website stats program Primary cover removal problems! | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary cover removal problems!

cruesin73

I have a 1993 sportster with a primary cover that will not come off. All of the bolts have been removed and the top seperates but the bottom of the primary has no give at all... Am I missing something, or is there a trick to removing these?

Thanks for the help

Plenty of fasteners, and yes the primary chain adjuster has to be loosened, and shift linkage and lever assy have to be removed as well. If gasket was installed dry, a simple tap with wood handle of a rubber mallet should free it, and swing it out of the way with the clutch cable (you may have to back out the adjuster and loosen and remove from clutch handle and it should clear. Do you have a manual to assist you in the removal and eventually the reinstallation.

Normally I like the gaskets to be installed dry or if you use gasket sealer only a bit on the cover side so removal means the gasket and cover come off at once.

You may find that the clutch actuation mechanism is attached to the primary cover and you need to a couple of bits from under the clutch adjustment cover to separate the clutch from the mechanism

Brian

I opened the good book and it says
remove clutch inspection cover
remove the spring and lockplate
turn the clutch adjustment screw clockwise untill the nut can be removed then remove the nut

that i think are the steps you may be missing to getting the cover off
a service manual is a handy tool to explain the hidden detail and im sure i have typed these steps into a previous post so a search may have brought up the info

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Very helpful information, this is what I needed to know. I have ordered a manual, but I was anxious to get out riding...

No problem Curesin73...the key here is like any endeavor worthwhile...preparation and practice before actually doing the deed really helps. Part of that prep is having reference materials, parts and consumables ready, clear area to work, and plenty of time, just in case you "break or forgot something"...if you rush, it is easy to work yourself into a corner.

Back