free website stats program Primary chaincase plug | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary chaincase plug

TommyB17

2000 FXDWG. Changed the primary chaincase oil. Put the drainplug back in until it started getting a little snug then checked the book for the torque spec. Maybe not the best move. To my surprise there was none, rather the book says the plug should extend from the hole a little less than 1/5 of an inch. I had already put it farther than that, close to flush. Backed it out and retightened to the correct spec, but that doesn't feel like it'll stay in at that spec. By what magic does the plug stay in at that spec, is the spec wrong, is something else in play here, or should I just set it to spec and forget about it? Thanks for your input.

-Tom

That's good info, thanks. Since it's now pretty close to spec and it did have some bite I'm going to mark the plug and case and go for a short ride to see if it moves. If it does will employ your suggestions, if not I'll keep leave it alone and an eye on it. Thanks again.

Took the bike for a 20 mi ride, didn't move so I'll leave it alone and keep checking. The whole thing makes me wonder, what was the thinking behind designing a drain plug without a torque spec? A seat with torque spec would maintain the distance required. I've worked on a wide range of vehicles over a great many years and this is the first. Maybe it's just me, but hard to imagine the reasoning behind it. Any ideas? Maybe Harley just trying to hide the walnut again.

Back