free website stats program Primary Chain question | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Chain question

bio_research

Contributor
Is there an aftermarket primary chain for a 2008 nightster? Mine stretched and has tight spots and loose spots... The shop said that it will keep happening wit the mods I have (and the way I ride)

Thanks

bio_

When you are USING the power in your bike? Do you release (pop) the clutch or do you use power AFTER clutch is let out.

I would believe that if you use the power and not out quick out on the clutch, the chain would last longer:s

The bike you have? Does it have the double chain or the Triple chain?

Sportsters have the triple chain and the reason is Longer lasting under abuse.

Looking, I see it is of the sport line and probably has the Triple Chain already...

Aren't they cheap in price ? under 50$?

signed....BUBBIE

it has the tripple chain and I would think that it would last longer than 12k miles... I do pop the clutch and do wheelies, so I'm sure that doesn't help...

the cheapest I found one was for $90... not too bad, but still. I'm broke...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your chain should be a triple row, if you have been racing a lot and hole shotting your chain is probably in pretty bad shape, tho most of these Sporty chains are stout, if you have tried all adjustments with out much help you could try It's also possible to adjust the chain with the engine running. Carefully load it up (at operating temp) while the bike is idling in neutral until you hear a slight whine. Then slowly back the adjuster off until the whine dissapears. For peace of mind, you can back the adjuster off a further 1/8th of a turn from this point, & then lock up the nut on the adjuster. Not a cure more like a band aid on a broken leg, tho it may work for a period of time JMO

The shop actually adjusted it as far as they could they said... there was a slighy whine and 20miles later it sounds like someone threw a handful of marbles in the primary... I'm missing bike night because of it :( but I'm going to tear down the primary tonight and see what's going on... The new clutch I got has the heavy duty springs, so that will help in the future with my clutch issues from before...

Could I maybe just use a different Primary Chain Adjuster for now?

Last edited by a moderator:
The shop actually adjusted it as far as they could they said... there was a slighy whine and 20miles later it sounds like someone threw a handful of marbles in the primary... I'm missing bike night because of it :( but I'm going to tear down the primary tonight and see what's going on... The new clutch I got has the heavy duty springs, so that will help in the future with my clutch issues from before...

Not What You Want To Hear...:bigsmiley5:

Hope they didn't have it tight enough to do Damage.... Sounds like you may have One of the clutch,tranny, engine, bearings bad....... ie, sounds like marbles in the primary... BAD.....

Many keep it tooooo tight for the saving of $$ for replacement then find out that they have to spend a lot of $$$$$ for the BIGGER problem that results...

signed....BUBBIE

Could I maybe just use a different Primary Chain Adjuster for now?

Not What You Want To Hear...:bigsmiley5:

Hope they didn't have it tight enough to do Damage.... Sounds like you may have One of the clutch,tranny, engine, bearings bad....... ie, sounds like marbles in the primary... BAD.....

Many keep it tooooo tight for the saving of $$ for replacement then find out that they have to spend a lot of $$$$$ for the BIGGER problem that results...

signed....BUBBIE

If you now have a whine and did I read it right a marble sound? TOO tight is a NO NO, as Bubbie said it is hard on the tranny bearings and clutch hub bearings, if memory serves me after 2004 Sporster models no longer have trap doors for tranny problems ( inner gear ) and components

well, it sounds like something clanking against the primary cover...not quite the catastrophic failure sounds I have experienced in the past :) I had an entire new clutch basket installed (hub, plates, upgraded spring plate), so I hope they didn't mess that up... I would rather do the work myself, but I just haven't had time...

Back