free website stats program primary chain adjuster | Harley Davidson Forums

primary chain adjuster

motor

On my 09 flhx I am wanting to put in something other than the ratcheting stock adjuster in primary..I was pretty sold on the baker attitude adjuster til I spent some time this morning online .It seems as though (on some)the top is folding over as there is no support other than the two original mounting bolts. I really want to get rid of this stock adjuster while i'm in primary and looking for options .any good input ...How bout a Hayden?

Last edited:
I have been reading everything I can about primary tensioners for the last year or more. The Baker has had some problems with deflection/bending, I haven't read that there is a redesign fix. The Hayden BT107 keeps the chain even tighter than the stock harley adjustable. Several respected builders have welded the stock tensioner so it no longer adjusts (after measuring the proper slack). At first I didn't think much of this approach, but it does not put unnecessary strain on the primary bearings. I'd rather err on loose than banjo string tight.

The welds are just spot welds,so they can be ground off and redone later.

While mine is an 03 and not the same adjuster as yours. I have been using the Hayden for a few years. It started out a bit tight and on the tight side of the spec. It has worn in nicely and I have no complaints or worries.....
Although, I have read, like Breeze, about welding the adjuster in place once and for all....

Another I have looked at is a screamin eagle manual adjuster..Any problems with them. I've got to order something tomorrow morning , the weather is getting nice

I had read somewhere that the Baker bending issue was on the original models and had been fixed, but I can't seem to find that now. How about giving them a call in the morning and asking them about the bend issue (and if you do, please tell us about it in this thread). They may be able to alleviate your fears. Anyway, I installed an Attitude Adjuster a couple weeks ago, but haven't logged many miles with it yet. Time will tell if it holds up long-term, but at least it won't tighten up on me like the stock one. Welding the stock tensioner is a good idea, but would be impossible to make small adjustments in order to get it "just right". Maybe there is a way to rig an adjustment screw for the stock one, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that yet. I considered the Hayden, but was worried about the springs and the extreme chain tightness others were reporting. It is cheaper than the Baker though.

It's perfectly quiet so far. No different than the stock one actually. My stock one was still working properly when I took it out, and hadn't yet ratcheted too tight. Looking forward to the feedback you get from Baker.

Just got off the phone with mark at baker .He assured me the bending issues were over and had to do with a vender that obviously wasn't able to measure up.They now have another source and issues are over ...That is what I was told so im gonna buy one and try it out
6-2 and even

Great. I'm very glad to hear that, but will keep an eye on it anyway.

One other tip. If you are already a member of hdforums you get a 10% discount from Baker if you tell them that. I got mine on Amazon for around $180 shipped (I believe straight from Baker) so I didn't bother with that.

Ok, another tip... Not sure if the '09 is the same as '08, and you may already know all this, but for the '08, you have to remove the compensator and chain to install the Attitude Adjuster. You can't just slip it behind the chain, there's not enough room. Not only that, when you go to reassemble the compensator you will also need to slide the clutch off a couple inches or so and push everything back on together or risk damaging the chain. It's definitely more of a pain that the Hayden install would be, but it was a good excuse to check out the compensator anyway.

3rd tip: when you are setting your chain tension, take out your spark plugs and rotate the compensator with your socket and re-check the tension at several spots along the chain. It differs greatly, but according to Baker, you need to set the tension at the loosest spot you find.

Ok, I'm out of tips... I apologize if you are a whiz at all that already, but it was my first time in a Harley primary, so it was quite the learning experience. If by chance you have questions as you go along, feel free to let me know.

3rd tip: when you are setting your chain tension, take out your spark plugs and rotate the compensator with your socket and re-check the tension at several spots along the chain. It differs greatly, but according to Baker, you need to set the tension at the loosest spot you find.

Nice tips atm33.
I have a question, how much did your chain tension vary? I've read that it will vary but I didn't really think it could be too much. Last time I checked mine I didn't check it in different spots...maybe I should check again soon.

Back