free website stats program Prilimary Specs on my custom project: For comments | Harley Davidson Forums

Prilimary Specs on my custom project: For comments

Hello All,

I am a expat Canadian in China, here for a few more yrs. Normally my bike purchase or project was going to be upon returning back, but that would only be in several yrs. What a coincidence that my neighbour from Germany used to build custom H-D bikes in Germany, so we have recently decided to build 1 bike each over here. I think it is not very commom here, it will be a very interesting project to say the least.

I'd like to post some prilimnary specs on my bike project, and post a few questions here and there. I would also invite, and be very happy to recieve any kind of comments reagrding my post. Thanks alot in advance :) ::

Spec ::
-Engine: 80 CID Big Evolution 1984-1991. Engine will be set-up for sure as phase 1, possibly phase 2 with cam/head hopefully reaching 75-80hp.
-Carb: S&S Super E or G
-Frame: Softtail style, rake approx 40 deg
-Wheels: Rear Aluminum approx 220mm, Front maybe spokes or aluminum.
-Forks: Dia41 polished maybe wide-glide style
-Tank:3,5 gal 1 pcs TBD
-Transmission: Stock H-D 5 speed or Baker 5 speed. (Would like some comments about this)

The bike(s) will be done in phases so we need to define the priliminary things, meanwhile I need to make sure everyything is compatible with the entire project. Any comments on any of the above would surely be appreciated.

--------------

I'd like to start with a couple of questions.

1) Engine: If I choose an older used 80 CID evolution (approx 1985), my friend a mechanic says that we would disassemble and refurbish / clean (lightly or not so likely bore out) the cyclinders, refit / replace pistons etc. With the expectation of having a A class motor, pushing approx 70-80 horses minimum what are the typical steps or risks we could take ?

2) Frame: For choosing the appropriate frame, could someone mention some possible custom frames approx 38-40 deg rake, softtail style? What I would like to know is what are all the precautions i should take ? For example what mating parts (such as transmission, forks,) should i exactly have defined before selecting the frame ? Which frames (there are a ton out there) are the ones I should consider ? Is it possible to obtain / purchase the design and drawings of such frames ?

Thanks alot in advance,

Bougie Bogster

Last edited:
wow...sounds like a fun build...but will the PRC allow the parts to be shipped in...?

Yeah we have considered this issue. At first, we thought we would label the engine as a compressor or pump, something that would not trigger the customs agent (My friend has a good relationship with the customs officer in another city). It usually has to do with which HS code the parts are classified by for entry and duty %. But one company in Hong Kong (subsiduary of USA company which I won't name) says they can get the parts through.

Another concern is lisencing this badboy, canot be done in every city, but with a little elbow grease alot can be done here

The HD big book has an evo $2995.95 5 spd $1695.95
JIMS valve train w/.510 lift and .235 I .242 E duration cam, wiseco forged pistons "e" carb w/thunderjet and a thunderheader will give you the HP your looking for... might want to smooth out those exhaust ports also....I've seen kits from Ultima complete drive line w/6 spd for under 3K

Thanks for that. What's the best way to get this H-D book, must it be purchased ... i will check the site.

I'm pretty sure it comes with an MSO. Unless you put it into a previously titled bike, anything you built would still be a 'custom built vehicle'. .

MSO is likke a VIN right? I had not thought about that .. What would be the complications of a "custom built vehicle" ? Tax, insurance, etc ??

And I don't mind the 4 speed if I'm not burning the freeway.

This is what my old school friend is choosing, but i get the feeling that at some "some" highway or freeway miles will be had ..

MSO is likke a VIN right? I had not thought about that .. What would be the complications of a "custom built vehicle" ? Tax, insurance, etc ??

This is what my old school friend is choosing, but i get the feeling that at some "some" highway or freeway miles will be had ..

MSO is the Manufacturers certificate of origin. It's documentation of where that unit/parts came from. You need this to register what ever the MSO goes with. "Custom built" sometimes causes additional steps to register and insure the vehicle and in some areas, it has to be inspected by the state too. You must have all documents for all parts purchased with part numbers/prices etc on them.

Excellent project! The only thing I might suggest is that you consider the Baker DD6 gearset for a 5-spd. case, or just the complete tranny. You will probably want to do some travelling around on the bike when you are done, and the 6-spd might make that more comfortable.

TQ

Back