free website stats program Power for a GPS | Harley Davidson Forums

Power for a GPS

BikeSAG

OK I am adding a GPS unit for 07 FLSTC and I know about the various mounts and all that what I don't know is about adding the 12V power plug in connection.

How hard is it and what exactly did some of you use?

Thanks in advance. (pulling a map out while riding is a real pain):D

I bought a "Y" type power adapter from O'reillys $10. Male plugs in, then there's 2 female receptacles on separate 4" wires. I cut one female receptacle off soldered longer wires on and wired it straight to my battery with a 15a fuse on the positive side. I used a "P" clamp (like what is used for mounting conduit to a wall) to mount it on my front down tubes, just under my tank. Not even visible to the casual look.

For charging/powering various devices i have a 12 volt lighter socket that i can plug into my battery tender pig tail then i will use the appropriate 12 volt power adaptor for the device
as most modern sat nav units work off usb power 5.5 volts an appropriate charger unit is required to do the voltage reduction otherwise the device will burn out
My battery tender pigtail has an in-line fuse and all the charger units i use have their own fuses

Brian

For charging/powering various devices i have a 12 volt lighter socket that i can plug into my battery tender pig tail then i will use the appropriate 12 volt power adaptor for the device
as most modern sat nav units work off usb power 5.5 volts an appropriate charger unit is required to do the voltage reduction otherwise the device will burn out
My battery tender pigtail has an in-line fuse and all the charger units i use have their own fuses

Brian

+1. This is what i did with my road king.

Brian

+1. This is what i did with my road king.

+ 2 on my RK. make a nice instalation

Back