free website stats program Power cut off | Harley Davidson Forums

Power cut off

Lieut101

This my first post, have enjoyed reading some of the others but they do not seem to cover my problem. I have an odd issue with my 1995 Harley Davidson 883 Hugger. About five days ago, only in the morning after about 10-15 minutes of riding on good level roadway the electrical power shuts off, as I drift for a few seconds there is a small back fire and the electric power comes on and the bike runs as before. I do not need to do anything to restart the bike.

Check to make sure both battery cables are clean and tight at both ends. Once your sure they are making good connection you can start trouble shooting from there.

Test the battery for state of charge, 12.7 is fully charged

I thank you for the response. I hook the battery to a battery tender each night (recommended by my mechanic) and the tender shows a green charged light each morning. Raining today, but I will check the battery connections tomorrow

I thank you for the response. I hook the battery to a battery tender each night (recommended by my mechanic) and the tender shows a green charged light each morning. Raining today, but I will check the battery connections tomorrow

Even hooked to a battery tender every night, a battery will not last forever. I started a thread awhile back and the concensus seemed to be to replace it after 3 to 5 years. Mine was at 4 years so I got a new one.

Green light on the tender isn't good enough. Do a load test on the battery.

That sounds logical, but the battery is less than one year old (good sealed model) and had not caused me any problems. The strange part is the fact that the problem only arises in the morning. I just came home in light rain (25 minute ride) from work, no problems), this morning no rain overnight, yet after 10 minutes the power cut out. Then back-fires within a few seconds, and restart when all I did was steer the bike straight to pull over.

I would still make sure the cables are clean and tight both ends. By the way I just replaced a battery tender that went bad, the green light was on but it was not charging!

I would still make sure the cables are clean and tight both ends. By the way I just replaced a battery tender that went bad, the green light was on but it was not charging!

Uh oh - maybe they need to be replaced every four years or so, too!

Not clear on what is actually happening. When you say "the electrical power shuts off, as I drift for a few seconds there is a small back fire and the electric power comes on and the bike runs as before." are you saying the bike restarts on it's own because your coasting down to a stop while still in gear (your actually push starting it),, or do you come to a complete stop and then just push the start (crank) button without touching the ignition switch.?

Also, do you loose your headlight and/or dash gauges when this happens.

Check the ignition switch, and clean the contacts on the kill switch, use dilectric grease on All connections to make them water tight, check the wire harness for pinches and or rub marks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back