free website stats program power commander | Harley Davidson Forums

power commander

the dealer threw in a set of pipes for me so I chose the v&h 2-1 comp series so I asked the mechanic there if he recommends an aftermarket controller. He said no...better without one.

I see a lot of guys recommending one here and on other sites so what gives who's right?

I don't agree with "better without one" because even a stock bike with no mods is lean.
Do the mods and the ECM if it has 02 sensors will richen it slightly but it will still be lean. You make the choice who is right here.

Agreed you are running lean and the pipe you chose is a pretty open pipe and would require some type of fuel management , the other thing did you do the intake ( SE air filter) if so or you plan to do this upgrade you will be running even leaner in WOTconditions, and if the dealer does not have a mechanic that can tune your Vrod or they dont have a dyno , there is no money in it for them , try and talk to another Dealer that has a dyno and see what they reccomend for your setup , If you do a fuel management upgrade make sure you go to a shop that has tuned Vrods , every fuel management out there for your Vrod has there Gremlins and problems No matter what anyone tells you,it will take sometime to get it tuned in just rite ,I have used and tuned 4 diffrent fuel managment systems on my 08 Vrod and Beta tested a system for a company about a year 1/2 ago , and now have what I feel is the best tuner out there for my Vrod ,It runs extremly strong over the stock setup with no issues , even the stock setup on the Vrod runs poor with a lot of low rpm surges (under 3500 rpm) you will find a good fuel management system will delete these surging issues ,although you can expect to eat up a lot more fuel with this mod you will find out that your bike will have a lot more performance over the stock setup. Good luck and dont rush with your choice

hey guys thanks all great advice, Crocker you know the saying stuck between a rock an a hard place...I'm literally stuck on a rock and with only one HD dealer in a hard place...hahaha..Guam the dot on the globe.

Can anyone help me narrow down the choices. The exhaust will come with baffles. HD dealer will do the stage 1 and replace air filter for me. Thanks again.

I do feel the surges at low rpm thought that was normal. what settings, what brand. The type of riding I do are mostly highway with a lot of stop n go. Long rides only on the wknds (really just going round the island). the island is 17 miles wide and 29 miles long..hehehe...there are a lot of winding roads...ck out my album and you'll see me in one longing form more road.

Thanks everyone.

YUP most people that have ridden Vrods think that low rpm surge is normal to the bike , thats because somewhere over the years the excuse was told to buyers that is how the bike runs you have to drive the bike in a higher rpm (the engine is built that way) BS Bad tune from moco to meet EPA standard , you should be able to run down main street USA (Guam) in your case. In second gear at 2100 rpm with no Surging , A good tuner will do away with that surge . And you are in the rock and hard place , I guess you have basicly 3 choices the wey I see it first is listen to your Dealer and do nothing , the second option would be a tuner with auto tune , ther are 2 companys that have these for the Vrods. Zippers/thunderMax with A/T and the other choice would be Power commander V (5) with A/t , both of these units for Vrods are fairly new to the market and both have there gremilns somtimes ,but most people due well with them and have no issues. I will not reccomend 1 over the other , even though I do have a personal prefrence ,but that is my opinion . When it comes to choosing a tuner ,they all have good and bad points , it is up to you to do the homework and make the choice , dont go by what he or see said, educate yourself and choose in what you feel will benefit you, But if there is a dyno guy in Guam look him up and see what he can do for you , I can tell you this most Vrod fourms have personal bias prefrences when it comes to buying a tuner.Good luck in your choice , Also if you have a problem in getting a tuner over to Guam let me know ,I can most likly help you with that and a good price also

I have an 07 nightrod special with K&N filter SE tuner and vance/hines indypipe Outlaw 2into1, and it runs great My dyno sheet went from 89hp to 112hp with these upgrades no, popping or issues so far with 5000 miles

I went with the thundermax and it works great, of course the turbo helps a little as well.

Just got a power comander to go with stage 1 upgrade hope it works so I don't have to go to dealer after putting on upgrades

Back