free website stats program Possible tuner issue, any thoughts? Kind of a long post. | Harley Davidson Forums

Possible tuner issue, any thoughts? Kind of a long post.

iamdent

We've been running Dolbeck tuners, we being my brother and I , for about a year now. Bro duc is riding an 11 FLHTCUI Stage 1 96 in, SE AC, Rhinehart slipons, decatted, 255 SE cams. Last big change was we installed the 255's but that's been almost a month now and we've ridden probably 2500+ miles since.

Yesterday we rode approx 65 miles to a local dealers shop to pick up some things, one thing he wanted to try was a new seat, which they let him demo a couple. We put the first seat on and he took it for a test drive. When he got back and pulled in to park he noticed he had an engine light. The seat had been a little difficult to get on so we thought maybe we had wiggled or jarred the ECI connector in someway and threw the codes up. We reset the codes and all seemed fine.

We left dealership without the new seat, he decided to keep his, about halfway back home his engine light comes back on and he noticed the cruise control not working. When we got home we checked codes, they were - P0031-o2 heater low/open, P0134-Front 02 sensor open/not responding, P0154-Rear 02 sensor open/not responding, P0577-Cruise control input high.

We rechecked connections at ECM plug, checked plug connection at TCM, rezeroed the TCM according to past post, checked ground on battery, checked Dolbeck tuner settings, checked Dolbeck tuner ground, reset codes and started the engine. All good, no codes, running fine, idle good put everything back together and left it for the night.

Got up this morning decided to take another 65 mile ride to grab some breakfast. Engine runs great, no popping no stuttering good accelleration seems fine. After about 30 miles I see him throw his hand up in disgust, cruise quit working, engine light back on. We cleared the codes three or four times on the way back home, everytime is the same, ride a few miles engine light back on.

Big thing seems to be that even with engine light on the bike runs great but the cruise quits working. We even tried turning the cruise power switch off and him not mess with the cruise set button at all, same thing same codes.

Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to give all the info I have. We are going to leave on a trip to North Carolina next Wednesday so we are very anxious to get this solved. Any thoughts?

Agreed harley, I have even been trying to duplicate the alarms with the bike idling by pulling on wires under the seat, wiggling connectors, ect. Code only pops up while riding and seems like only after its warmed up pretty long.

According to Dolbeck when we installed the unit originally the bypass is done in the unit itself now. They do not send the bypass "jumpers" any more you just disconnect the o2 sensors, which is what we did. So in that thinking yes the sensors are supposed to be bypassed.

According to Dolbeck when we installed the unit originally the bypass is done in the unit itself now. They do not send the bypass "jumpers" any more you just disconnect the o2 sensors, which is what we did. So in that thinking yes the sensors are supposed to be bypassed.

HMMM, have you been in the rain alot lately? Wondering if water has intruded the wire connections?

Haven't been in the rain a lot lately but we do wash these things alot, especially this time of year with the bugs and all. I've been kinda thinking along those same lines just not sure which connection to start with.

The good thing, at least for the time being is the bike seems to be running great. No cutting out, no overheating, no limp mode, just keeps throwing codes and the cruise quits working. I am going to call Chris at Dolbeck in the morning and get his opinion to see the possibility of the circuitry bypassing the o2's sensors might have quit working. We have ridden probably 125 - 200 miles since he started getting engine light.

Updating the progress of this problem: I spoke with Chris at Dolbeck and have pretty much elliminated the tuner as the problem. The o2 sensor codes are actually soft codes that should not trigger an engine light alarm. They have probably been there since we put the tuner in and disconnected the o2 sensors. He is sending me some o2 bypass resistors to install to ease my mind by eliminating these codes.

That leaves me with the P0577 code which is the cruise control set high code. We actually got the code to come on last night with the bike sitting in the garage running. When we twisted the trottle and reved the engine a few times the code came back, this leads me to believe it is a connection, short, or something in the switch housing. Not sure why twisting the throttle would affect that other than a vibration thing. We'll see tonight, I will update.

FINALLY found IT!

After four days of head scratching, twisting, poking and a lot of reading on the internet we finally located what was giving that silly P0577 code. Even though we ran the "Cruise Inoperative Diagnostics" start to finish we decided after seeing many post on many different forums to change out the SET/RESUME switch. We do not have the switch in hand yet but we took the old one out and simply cut the switch out of the circuit. Alarm gone, after we got the switch out where we could actually get a meter to it, it definately read shorted.

Now we can get ready for our ride to North Carolina, leaving next Wednesday for Raleigh.

Back